Want to make something sweet and delicious for the family but also not cliche and unhealthy? This article about healthy pumpkin bread recipes will save you!
If you want to try healthy pumpkin bread recipes, try out the recipes here, which are some amazing and nutritious choices!
What is Pumpkin Bread?
Pumpkin – a delicious plant of the gourd family, can be made into bread with sweet and spicy flavours of your choice. Originating in America, pumpkins are used to make a variety of dishes from pies, donuts, ice cream, muffins, vegetables, and soup.
With almost 45 varieties, pumpkins are quite popular, being grown on many continents and on a large scale in the U.S. Did you know that the pumpkin capital of the world is one of the places in America? Click here for more fun facts!
Having healthy pumpkin bread will help in the following ways:
- It is filled with healthy vitamins and fibres that help boost general health.
- The antioxidants in pumpkin bread can contribute to a healthy heart, skin, and eyes.
- Being composed of 90% water, pumpkins are a source of consuming low calories.
To make healthy pumpkin bread of your liking, check out the recipes below:
1) Healthy Pumpkin Bread Recipes
Pumpkins have versatility, from drinks to food, and with the above-mentioned health benefits, they can be made for any occasion.
In this article, we will learn ways to make one of its varieties – healthy pumpkin bread.
1.1) Healthy Pumpkin Bread Recipe (For Everyone’s Taste)
This healthy pumpkin bread can be customized according to one’s diet plan, from vegan to gluten-free options. Try it out for yourself!
1) Melted coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil (1/3 cup)
2) Maple syrup or honey (1/2 cup)
3) Eggs (2)
4) Pumpkin puree (1 cup)
5) Milk or water (1/4 cup)
6) Pumpkin spice blend (1/2 tsp)
Note: You can also use cinnamon, ground ginger, ground nutmeg, and allspice (1/2 – 1/4 tsp)
7) Baking soda (1 tsp)
8) Vanilla extract (1 tsp)
9) Salt (1/2 tsp)
10) White or regular whole wheat flour (1 and 3/4 cups)
11) Optional: Chopped pecans or walnuts (1/2 cup), raisins, chocolate chips, and chopped dried fruit.
12) To sprinkle, add ground cinnamon
The total time to make this dish is 1 hour and 5 minutes, and the recipe yields 1 loaf of healthy pumpkin bread.
1) Preheat oven to 325°F or 165°C, then grease a loaf pan (9×5 inch)
2) Take a large bowl, mix oil and honey, and beat with a whisk. Add the eggs and whisk till they are blended.
Tip: Coconut oil, when mixed with cold ingredients, solidifies, set the bowl in a warm place, or you can microwave it for 10 seconds.
3) add pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice, milk, baking soda, salt, and vanilla – whisk them to blend nicely. Take a big spoon and stir the flour to combine. For any additional mixes, gently add them in.
4) In your greased loaf pan, add the batter and sprinkle cinnamon lightly. For a more swirled effect, use the tip of a knife across the batter to form a zig-zag pattern.
5) Bake for around 60 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted into the center is out to clean. Let the bread cool down for around 10 minutes in the loaf pan.
Tip: Without any add-on, the bread can be done in 55 minutes while it takes 60 with them.
Then, transfer the bread to a cooling rack for around 20 minutes before having these delicious slices of pumpkin bread.
How to store?
Healthy pumpkin bread can be kept out for 2-3 days since it’s moist, then stored in the refrigerator for 5-7 or frozen for three months.
You can also use olive oil for a herbal taste, vegetable oil for a neutral flavour, or any other oil of your choice.
For a vegan alternative, use maple syrup instead of honey, flax eggs instead of normal ones, and non-dairy milk.
To make it gluten-free, you can use gluten-free all-purpose flour.
1.2) Best Pumpkin Bread Recipe
With no sugar, whole grains, and Greek yogurt, this moist and delicious best healthy pumpkin bread recipe is a must-try.
1) Canola or coconut oil (2 tbsp)
2) Honey (1/2 cup)
3) Egg (1-large)
4) Plain non-fat Greek yogurt (1/3 cup)
5) Pure vanilla extract (1 tsp)
6) Pumpkin puree (1 and 1/2 cups)
7) Baking soda (1 tsp)
8) Ground cinnamon (1 and 1/2 tsp)
9) Ground nutmeg (1/4 tsp)
10) Ground cloves or allspice (1/4 tsp)
11) Kosher salt (1/4 tsp)
12) White whole wheat flour (1 and 1/2 cups)
This pumpkin bread recipe will take 1 hour and 10 minutes to cook. It serves ten slices of pumpkin.
1) Preheat oven to 325°F. Take a loaf pan (8×4 inch) and coat it with baking spray.
2) Take a large bowl, mix the oil and honey, and whisk till they are smooth. Add egg and Greek yogurt, and whisk again. Then, whisk the vanilla and pumpkin puree. Blend till they are smooth.
3) Sprinkle the rest of the ingredients and stir them to combine well. Sprinkle more flour, then mix well.
4) Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Let the pumpkin bread bake for 30 minutes, then remove the pan and lightly tent the foil to prevent darkening of the top part.
5) Let the bread bake for another 25-35 minutes, till the toothpick inserted into the center is clean.
Make the bread cool down for 5 minutes in the loaf pan. Transfer to a wire rack, then let it cool completely (for around 30 minutes). Slice and enjoy!
1) For a sweeter taste, substitute the Greek yogurt with a plain one.
2) You can also use whole wheat pastry flour instead of white whole wheat flour. However, the texture of the bread might change.
How to Store?
1) Freeze the pumpkin bread in an airtight container (freezer safe) for three months. Wrapping in plastic wraps is preferable.
2) At room temperature, the bread can be refrigerated for 3 to 5 days.
1.3) Easy Healthy Pumpkin Bread Recipe
This flavour-filled and spicy pumpkin bread is a perfect fall meal – both as breakfast or under snacks and dips. Give it a try.
1) Whole wheat pastry flour (1 and 1/2 cups)
2) Cinnamon (2 tsp)
3) Nutmeg (1/2 tsp)
4) Allspice (1/2 tsp)
5) Baking powder (2 tsp)
6) Baking soda (1/2 tsp)
7) Salt (1/2 tsp)
8) Canned pumpkin puree (1 cup)
9) Any milk of your choice (1/2 cup)
10) Cane sugar (1/2 cup)
11) Eggs (2)
12) Vanilla (1 tsp)
This pumpkin bread would take 1 hour and 5 minutes to make, with a total of 8 servings.
1) Preheat oven to 350°F, line a loaf pan (8×4 inch) with parchment paper.
2) combine the whole wheat pastry flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, soda, salt, and allspice in a medium bowl.
3) Mix the puree, eggs, sugar, olive oil, milk, and vanilla in a large bowl. Whisk till they are smooth.
4) Mix both bowls and stir till they are well combined. Don’t overmix.
5) Put the pumpkin bread batter into the prepared loaf pan, bake for about 40-50 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted into the center is clean when taken out.
Your delicious and easy-to-make healthy pumpkin bread is ready.
1) Let the bread cool down; this will bring out a more prominent pumpkin pie spice flavour and a softer texture.
2) For the leftover pumpkin bread or any extra pieces, freezing them is the best option.
3) The canned pumpkin purée can also be used to make pumpkin muffins, waffles, pancakes, and cookies.
4) For a vegan-free option, substitute flaxseed (4 tbsp) and warm water (6 tbsp) with the eggs. It might be less puffy but equally tasty.
For a homemade pumpkin puree recipe, click here.
1.4) Classic Pumpkin Bread Recipe
With a sweetened pumpkin flavour – this recipe uses dairy-free, nut-free, and sugar-free ingredients to make healthy pumpkin bread.
1) Eggs (2)
2) Coconut oil (1/3 cup)
3) Maple syrup (1/2 cup)
4) Pumpkin purée (1 cup)
5) White whole wheat flour (1 and 1/2 cups)
6) Baking soda (1 tsp)
7) Baking powder (1/2 tsp)
8) Salt (1/4 tsp)
9) Pumpkin pie spice (1 tbsp)
10) Chocolate chips (1 cup)
This pumpkin bread will take 1 hour to prep and cook, with eight servings.
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F and line the loaf pan with parchment paper and nonstick spray.
2) Take a large bowl – whisk the eggs, maple syrup, and oil together. Add the puree and vanilla, and set it aside.
3) Take a small bowl – mix flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and pumpkin pie spice together.
5) Mix both the dry and wet ingredients; you can add any mix-ins of your choice. Save some to sprinkle after baking.
6) Pour batter into the baking dish, and place it in the oven.
7) Bake for around 50 minutes. You can check with a toothpick to see if it is cooked.
Serve pumpkin bread warm with a cup of coffee, yogurt, or even ice cream.
How to store the bread?
At room temperature, it stays fresh for 3 – 4 days. Store it in the fridge for five days.
Tip: Store the slices of pumpkin in an airtight container, wrapped in aluminum foil. You can also freeze the bread slices for up to 6 months.
1.5) Healthy Pumpkin Bread Recipe with Maple Glaze
Made with pumpkin spices and pure maple syrup, this cozy and healthy pumpkin bread recipe is one of the best ones to try.
The wet ingredients:
1) Butter (1/3 cup)
2) Canned puree (pumpkin – 1 can)
3) Eggs (2)
4) Pure maple syrup (1/2 cup)
5) Vanilla extract (1 tsp)
The dry ingredients
1) Whole wheat pastry flour/ white whole wheat flour (1 and 3/4 cup)
2) Baking soda (1 tsp)
3) Salt (1/4 tsp)
4) Cinnamon (1 and 1/2 tsp)
5) Nutmeg (1/2 tsp)
6) Ground ginger (1/2 tsp)
7) allspice (1/2 tsp)
1) Powdered sugar (1/2 cup)
2) Pure maple syrup (1 tbsp)
3) Melted butter (1 tbsp)
4) Unsweetened almond milk (1 tbsp) – you can use other milk to thin the glaze.
The preparation and cooking time for this recipe is 1 hour 20 minutes, and it yields 12 servings.
1) Preheat oven to 350°. Take a loaf pan (8½ x 4½ inches) and line it with parchment paper and nonstick cooking spray. Set it aside.
2) In the saucepan, add butter on medium heat. Whisk till it’s foamy. Once the butter starts to turn brown, remove from heat, but keep whisking to get a nutty aroma.
Transfer it to a medium bowl to prevent burning. Let it cool down for approx 10 minutes.
3) Add the puree, eggs, pure maple syrup, and vanilla to a large bowl. Whisk them till they are smooth in the brown butter.
4) Take another large bowl and stir the cooking soda, whole wheat pastry flour, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and allspice.
5) Mix both the dry and wet ingredients. Pour the batter into the pan and smooth it down with a spatula.
6) Bake for about 50-60 minutes, till the toothpick comes out clean.
Allow to cool it down (around 10 minutes), then remove the pumpkin bread and place it on a wire rack to cool completely.
7) To make the maple glaze: Take a small bowl and mix the sugar, maple syrup, melted butter, and milk.
Pour this over the warm pumpkin bread, and serve the yummy slices.
1) Using whole wheat pastry flour instead of regular whole wheat flour provides healthy fibre and whole grains.
You can also gluten-free all-purpose flour.
2) The canned pumpkin provides all the necessary vitamins and antioxidants.
3) For a dairy-free option, use melted or cooled coconut oil and vegan butter.
1.6) Healthy Pumpkin Bread (A Low Sugar Variety)
With a classic pumpkin flavour, this is a healthier alternative to using half sugar yet giving a moist and delicious taste. Try it out now.
1) Pumpkin puree (14.5 ounces)
2) Unsalted butter (1/2 cup)
3) Vanilla extract (1 tsp)
4) Whole wheat flour (2 cups)
5) Sugar (1/2 cup)
6) cooking soda (1 tsp)
7) Cinnamon (1 tsp)
8) Pumpkin pie spice (1 tsp)
9) Salt (1/2 tsp)
This healthy pumpkin bread would take 1 hour and 15 minutes to make, with a total of 10 servings.
1) Preheat oven to 350°F, and grease a loaf pan (9×5 inch) with nonstick spray.
2) Take a bowl – add the pumpkin, eggs, butter, and vanilla. Stir them well.
3) Add in the flour, cinnamon, sugar, cooking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
4) Pour the prepared batter into the pan and smooth the upper part with a spatula.
5) Bake around 60 minutes, place parchment paper or foil on top, then bake for 15 more minutes, or till a toothpick/cake tester comes out clean.
Tip: The foil or paper will prevent the bread from over-browning.
6) Let it cool down for 5 minutes, remove from the pan and place it on a wire rack to cool entirely.
Slice and serve this delicious pumpkin bread.
Is your pumpkin bread gummy? In that case, make sure that the cooking soda used is fresh and remove it from the pan once baked immediately. This will prevent it from overbaking.
This bread can be combined with cream cheese, butter (nut or seed), and honey of your choice. You can serve it with chilli and soup as well.
1) If there are any leftovers, wrap them in plastic wrap and store them in an airtight container for three days (room temperature).
You can refrigerate it for five days or freeze the slices in a zip-lock storage bag for up to 6 months.
2) The nutrition serving of this dish contains 231 calories, 31 gm carbohydrates, 5 gm protein, and 13 gm sugar.
1.7) Healthy Moist Pumpkin Bread
This can be a perfect fall baking gift to anyone, with an easy recipe using rich pumpkin spices. Check it out.
1) Softened butter (1/2 cup)
2) Dark brown sugar (1 cup)
3) Canned puree (pumpkin flavour – 1 cup)
4) Eggs (2)
5) Ground cinnamon (2 tsp)
6) Ginger (1/2 tsp)
7) Ground nutmeg (1/4 tsp)
8) Ground cloves (1/4 tsp)
9) Cooking soda (1 tsp)
10) Salt (1 tsp)
11) All-purpose flour (1 and 1/2 cups)
For the brown butter maple glaze:
1) Butter (1/4 stick)
2) Powdered sugar (1 cup)
3) Maple syrup (2-3 tbsp)
4) Cream (1/3 tsp)
The total time taken to make this dish is 1 hour and 5 minutes, with 12 slices.
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease the loaf pan or four mini loaf ones. Take a mixer – combine the butter and brown sugar till they are fluffy. Add in the eggs, pumpkin, and spices, and mix on low till they are combined well.
2) Take a separate bowl to add the all-purpose flour and cooking soda. Mix both dry and wet ingredients till they are combined well.
3) Put the prepared pumpkin bread batter into the pan, and bake for 55 minutes (large loaf), and 30 minutes (mini loaves).
Once you check if it is cooked, place it on a cooling rack. Let it cool down, then add the glaze.
2) Other Healthy Pumpkin Bread Recipes
Don’t worry, the recipes to make healthy pumpkin bread with tasty ingredients do not end here. There are more recommendations to try out.
2.1) Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bread with a Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
This healthy pumpkin bread has not only gluten-free but nut-free and dairy-free options like cream cheese and oat flour. Try it out here.
2.2) Healthy Pumpkin Bread with Chocolate Chips
This pumpkin bread recipe is an all-time fan favourite, with ingredients like whole wheat flour, canned pumpkin, maple syrup, and mini chocolate chips.
It also has expert tips on how to make the perfect pumpkin bread. Click here to view the recipe.
2.3) Eggless Pumpkin Bread
This recipe gives a tender and moist pumpkin bread – with egg-free options like fruit-based purees.
You’ll need simple ingredients like whole wheat flour, puree, oil, and nuts to blend this bread. View the instructions here.
2.4) Healthy Pumpkin Bread (For the Paleo Diet)
With a delicious pumpkin flavour – this grain-free and naturally sweet pumpkin bread are made with just almond flour, puree, coconut sugar, and spices.
You can have it for breakfast, dinner, and even snacks. Check out how to make it here.
2.5) Applesauce Pumpkin Bread
This is one of the best pumpkin bread to satisfy your pumpkin cravings during the fall season, with healthy options like applesauce.
However, the texture might change when you replace it with oil, and you can try out the variations mentioned, along with other ingredients, here.
2.6) Greek Yogurt Pumpkin Bread
This one is a healthy choice with oats, Greek yogurt, brown sugar, whole wheat flour, and sea salt. With dark chocolate chips, do you want to miss out on this? Click here to try it out.
2.7) Keto Pumpkin Bread
This amazing pumpkin bread has a light and fluffy texture with an incredible aroma of cinnamon. Ingredients like almond flour and kosher salt make it a nutritious option. View the whole recipe here.
2.8) Whole Wheat Healthy Pumpkin Bread
A healthier version of the traditional pumpkin bread, this recipe is also dairy-free, with no sugar. All you need is a bowl with whole wheat flour, puree, honey, and cooking soda. Check out this recipe.
2.9) Healthy Pumpkin Oat Bread (Gluten-Free And Low Calorie)
This low-calorie, low-sugar, and low-fat snack use flourless ingredients and gluten-free oats to mix a go-to pumpkin bread with just 1 gm of saturated fat. Try this recipe here.
2.10) Diabetic-Friendly Pumpkin Bread
For a midday or midnight snack that will give you the right sweetness and spice, try this homemade pumpkin bread by using healthy flour, spices, and nuts to get that delicious pumpkin flavour. Try it out here.
2.11) Best Vegan Pumpkin Bread Recipe
You can add this to your favourite pumpkin bread recipe during the fall season. It has a moist and fluffy texture, filled with cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg – a perfect vegan combo.
The best part is – it is better than Starbucks; try out this recipe here.
2.12) Toasted Coconut Pumpkin Bread
You get the best of both seasons – summer and fall – with the spices and coconut used in this dish. It is a healthy pumpkin bread with all the necessary vitamins and minerals available in the ingredients. Check out the recipe here.
The healthy pumpkin bread recipes mentioned above are all delicious in their way and do not require you to count the calories while eating, have fun munching over the holidays!
For more healthy recipes, check out how to make more nutritious pumpkin slices of bread here.
If you liked this article, check out healthier recommendations here!