Share This Article
Do you feel a burning sensation sometimes in your throat or chest? Do you feel any form of discomfort or irritation in the areas close to your stomach?
So, there are many who are troubled with these questions, as these conditions are related to acid reflux. But is ginger good for acid reflux?
What Is Acid Reflux?
The stomach in the body of a human is connected to the esophagus with a valve, commonly known as the food pipe.
There are times when this valve or the food pipe gets weakened. In this case, stomach acids flow back into the food pipe.
Stomach acid flowing into the food pipe is irritant; the pipe experiences inflammation.
The acidic gastric fluid that flows back into the esophagus causes heartburn or, more commonly known, acid reflux.
Acid reflux or heartburn is a burning and painful sensation in the throat or chest.
Acid Reflux Symptoms
Here are some symptoms of acid reflux:
Heartburn is a burning sensation that one feels from the stomach to the abdomen or chest and can even be felt up to your throat.
2. The Condition Of Regurgitation
Regurgitation is a condition where you get a taste of the sour or bitter-tasting acid encompassing your throat or mouth.
3. Other Common Symptoms Of Acid Reflux
- Bloody or black stools
- Bloody vomiting
- Dry cough
- Sore throat
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease GERD
A gastroesophageal reflux disease is a form of health issue associated with acid reflux.
When the stomach acid flows back into the esophagus frequently, that leads to intolerable irritation in the lining of the esophagus, which is medically referred to as gastroesophageal reflux disease.
But how to know whether you are in the condition of simple acid reflux or you are suffering from GERD?
It is observed that many people suffer from acid reflux, but the ones at the grab of GERD are the ones who suffer from mild acid reflux that takes place in the body at least twice a week or severe cases of acid reflux at least once a week.
Symptoms Of GERD
Here are some severe GERD symptoms:
- Acid reflux or heartburn
- Chest pain
- Sour taste in the mouth
- Difficulty in breathing
- Sore throat
- Hoarse voice
- Dry cough
- A feeling of a lump in the throat!
Is Ginger Good For Acid Reflux?: 3 Important Benefits
Ginger ( Zingiber Officinale ) is rich in antioxidants as well as chemicals, which makes it full of health benefits.
Is ginger good for acid reflux? Let’s know how.
1. Is Ginger Good For Acid Reflux?: A Cure To Gastrointestinal Problems
Ginger is proven to be effective in numerous gastrointestinal problems. When taken in small doses, its anti-inflammatory and richness in antioxidants make it suitable for varied problems related to the stomach.
2. Is Ginger Good For Acid Reflux?: Relieve Symptoms Of Acid Reflux
Irritation and burning sensation are the two evident symptoms in the case of acid reflux.
Taking ginger in a small amount soothes the esophagus and the stomach nerve. This, in turn, helps reduce the irritation and burning sensation that one experiences.
3. Is Ginger Good For Acid Reflux?: Relieve Gastrointestinal Irritation
The phenolic compounds present in ginger help relieve irritation in the gastrointestinal systems due to acid reflux. It also lessens gastric contractions.
This indicates that ginger reduces the chance of acid flowing from the stomach back into the esophagus.
Note: Ginger should be consumed in a limited amount or as per the recommendations of your doctor and dietician. A large amount of ginger can aggravate the problems.
Is Ginger Good For Acid Reflux?: Different Ways Of Consuming Ginger
1. Is Ginger Good For Acid Reflux?: Ginger Tea
Ginger tea is the best way to relieve heartburn.
There are ginger-based teas easily available in the market. You can make ginger tea by yourself too. Soak raw ginger in hot water for some time and can add it to your tea while boiling.
2. Is Ginger Good For Acid Reflux?: Raw Ginger
You can also make a grounded paste of ginger and can incorporate it in small doses into your food, for instance, to your soup.
3. Is Ginger Good For Acid Reflux?: Ginger Tablet
Ginger supplements are also available in the market in the form of ginger tablets. If raw ginger doesn’t seem pleasant to your tongue, you can choose the alternative of ginger tablets.
However, it is always better to consult your doctor before using any such supplements.
Other Health Benefits Of Ginger
Ginger is often counted among the most acknowledged natural and home remedies that come with medicinal properties.
- Ginger helps to reduce symptoms of nausea and the common cold.
- According to some studies, ginger plays a relevant role in weight loss.
- According to a literature review, it is medically reviewed that people with problems of osteoarthritis have experienced that incorporating ginger in their eating routine gave them relief from pain and disability.
- Ginger is also believed to have anti-diabetic properties.
- Ginger is effective in fighting several infections.
Are There Any Side Effects Of Ginger?
- Can lead to diarrhea- If ginger is consumed in a large amount, it can become a reason for diarrhea. This is because ginger accelerates the passage of food and stool through the intestine.
- Not advised for pregnant ladies- Pregnant ladies should avoid consuming ginger without consulting their gynecologists.
- Risk Of bleeding- Ginger has anti-platelet properties, and therefore its consumption in large amounts may cause bleeding.
- The ones on blood pressure medications should be beware: Ginger in a large amount infuriates heart conditions.
Treat Acid Reflux With Some Lifestyle Changes
1. What to avoid in your diet?:
Carbonated beverages, citrus fruits.
2. What should be incorporated into your diet?:
There are certain foods that you can add to your diet to stay free from the problem of acid reflux. They are:
High fiber foods-whole grains like oatmeal and brown rice; root vegetables like sweet potatoes, carrot, and beets; green vegetables like broccoli and green beans.
Vegetables being low in fat helps to reduce and neutralize stomach acid.
Watery foods- cucumber, lettuce, non-citrus fruits like watermelon, herbal tea, celery.
3. Some Home remedies for heartburn:
Apple cider vinegar, milk, lemon juice with warm water.
Is Ginger Good For Acid Reflux?: A Quick Briefing
Ginger is resplendent with medicinal properties. If taken in a controlled amount, it can give desirable relief.
Acid reflux is a common problem, and ginger can be effective in getting relief against acid reflux. However, excess of anything leads to hazards. So, be careful about the amount taken.
In the case of a chronic condition of acid reflux, it is always better to take medical advice.