Made with a mix of light and dark meat turkey, with some skin and fat, Ground turkey is lean ground meat used in many dishes like burgers, chili, rice, and meatballs.
When compared with meats like ground chicken and ground beef, fat-free turkey is best for any kind of heart problem and weight loss.
So, filled with healthy calories, sodium, iron, and protein, ground turkey recipes are varied, and here’s a list that you could try out to fit your health standards.
1) Healthy Ground Turkey Recipes
Did you know turkey is not just a thanksgiving specialty? Despite its flavor, turkey blends well with other food choices. You could also make fun and healthy ground turkey recipes for your weekly meals. Check the recipes out.
1.1) Healthy Ground Turkey Recipe (Burger)
This Mediterranean-styled ground turkey burger with onions, herbs, feta, and delicious homemade tzatziki is among the must-try healthy ground turkey recipes.
For Ground Turkey Patties
1) Ground turkey (2 lbs)
2) Oregano (2 tsp)
3) Minced garlic cloves (4)
4) Small onion (Grated – 1)
5) Chopped parsley (Flat leaf – 1/4 cup)
6) Cumin and pepper (1 tsp each)
7) Salt (2 tsp)
8) Olive oil (2 tbsp)
For Tzatziki Sauce
1) Greek yogurt (1 cup)
2) Grated English cucumber (1/2)
3) Fresh or dried dill (2 tbsp)
4) Minced garlic cloves (1-2)
5) Pepper and salt (1/4 and 1/2 tsp)
For Turkey Burgers
1) Romaine lettuce leaves (6)
2) Sliced tomatoes (2)
3) Crumbled feta (4 oz)
4) Toasted Hamburger buns (6)
5) Tzatziki sauce (1 cup)
1) Take a small bowl – combine the ingredients for the sauce. Cover and place it in the fridge for an hour, let the flavors meld.
2) For the ground turkey patties, mix all the ingredients in a bowl till they are combined. Divide it into six equally sliced patties, a little larger than the buns.
3) Take a large cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium heat—season patties with salt cook for 5 minutes on each side.
Tip: You can use a thermometer to check its internal temperature (165 degrees)
4) For the burgers, layer it with the sauce, patty, lettuce, tomato, and more sauce and feta cheese according to your taste.
Enjoy your yummy turkey burgers!
You can also use a barbecue, stovetop, and oven to make the turkey burgers.
In any case, the internal temperature should reach 165 degrees.
1.2) Healthy Ground Turkey Chili
This turkey chili recipe uses a homemade spice mixture to enhance all flavors. It falls under healthy ground recipes with all the protein and veggies.
1) Ground turkey (1 lb)
2) Olive oil (1 tbsp)
3) Diced onion (1/2 cup)
4) Diced bell peppers (2)
5) Minced garlic or garlic powder (1 tsp)
6) Ground cumin (2 tsp)
7) Coriander (1/2 tsp)
8) Paprika (2 tbsp)
9) Chili powder (1 and 1/2 tbsp)
10) Granulated sugar (1 tsp)
11) Sea salt (1/2 tsp)
12) Diced tomatoes (fire-roasted – 1/2 tsp)
13) Tomato sauce (15 0z)
14) Diced green chilies (4 oz)
15) Kidney beans (14 0z)
16) Fresh or frozen corn (1/2 cup)
This healthy turkey chili recipe would take 30 minutes of prep and cook time, with ten servings.
1) Take a small bowl – mix coriander, paprika, chili, cumin, sugar, salt, and pepper. Set it aside.
2) Take a large pot, keep it on medium heat, cook ground turkey, onion, olive oil, and minced garlic on it. Keep occasionally stirring till the turkey is brown (around 10 minutes)
3) Add peppers, cover the pot, and cook till they are soft ( another 5 minutes)
4) Add tomato sauce, chilies, and tomato, then the spice mix, corn, and beans. Stir well.
5) Cook over medium heat for around 15 minutes, reduce to simmer down.
Serve this turkey chili with any of the following: sour cream, cheddar cheese, green onions, or tortilla chips.
You can store the turkey chili in an air-tight container in the fridge (up to 5 days or in the freezer for two months)
1.3) Easy Healthy Taco Salad With Ground Turkey
With four flavors – sour, creamy, savory, spicy, and filled with loads of nutrition, this taco salad is among the must-try healthy ground turkey recipes.
1) Organic lean ground turkey (16 oz)
2) Organic chili powder (3 tsp)
3) Creamy avocado-lime Dressing (1 serving)
4) Canned corn (8 oz)
5) Avocado and lime (1 each)
6) Spinach (5 cups)
7) Crushed corn tortilla chips (4 tbsp)
This taco salad is perfect for an easy weeknight dinner with just 30 minutes of prep and cooking time, serving four plates.
1) Cook the ground turkey and chili powder thoroughly
2) Take a small blender – and make the avocado lime dressing (click here for the link).
3) Slice avocado in squares and lime in slices (4).
4) Make the salad, start with spinach, then avocado, corn, lean ground turkey, dressing, and tortilla chips.
Top this delicious salad with chili powder and lime.
1.4) Italian Stuffed Peppers
One of the healthy ground turkey recipes to put together for any lunch or dinner are these colorful stuffed peppers with delicious Italian seasoning and brown rice.
1) Olive oil (2 tbsp)
2) Bell peppers (3)
3) Diced onion (1)
4) Ground turkey or ground chicken (1 pound)
5) Italian seasoning (2 tsp)
6) Salt and pepper (1 tsp)
7) Ground black pepper (1/4 tsp)
8) Diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
9) Cooked brown rice (1 cup)
10) Grated Mozzarella cheese (1 cup)
11) Grated Parmesan cheese (1/4 cup)
12) Chopped Fresh basil or parsley (1 tbsp)
This recipe would take 40 minutes, and the servings can be adjusted accordingly.
1) Preheat oven to 180°C.
2) Prepare bell peppers, slice them in half, then remove seeds and the membrane. Brush olive oil on the inside roast them in the oven till they are undercooked.
3) Take a non-stick pan, add diced onion and Saute till soft. Add the ground turkey, Italian seasoning (click here), pepper, and salt.
4) Break the ground turkey with a wooden spoon, brown it, add diced tomatoes, and cook.
5) Add brown rice, mozzarella, parmesan cheese, mix on medium heat until they are melted. For seasoning, add salt and pepper.
6) Now, take the bell peppers out while roasted but undercooked.
7) Add the stuffing to each pepper, top more cheese of your choice.
8) Put it in the oven for 10 more minutes, let the flavors settle down, and thoroughly cook.
The stuffed peppers can be stored in the fridge for four days or, if placed in the freezer, use a safe sealed container that is labeled. Make sure to consume within 4 months.
You can use a microwave or reheat in the oven at the same temperature, covered with foil in an oven-safe dish.
If you are reheating the peppers, after taking them out of the freezer, heat for another 30 minutes.
1.5) Ground Turkey Meatballs
These juicy turkey zucchini meatballs served with marinara sauce are perfect for weeknight healthy ground turkey recipes served with spaghetti.
1) Ground turkey (1 pound)
2) Grated Zucchini (1 cup)
3) Bread crumbs (1/2 cup)
4) Parmesan cheese (1/2 cup)
5) Grated onion (1/2 cup)
6) Egg (1 large)
7) Red pepper flakes (1/4 tsp)
8) Salt and pepper (for taste)
The total time to make these turkey meatballs is 40 minutes, with 7 servings.
1) Take a large mixing bowl – add ground turkey, grated zucchini, bread crumbs, cheese, onion, egg, and red pepper flakes. With a spatula, mix till it is properly combined.
2) Scoop out the mixture (with an ice cream scoop – 1 and a half tbsp), roll into balls, and shift to a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3) Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes or till the internal temperature is at 165°F.
4) Take a large skillet, preheat, then add marinara sauce (lower heat to medium or low). Add cooked meatballs and mix well. Cover and let it cook for 10 minutes.
Your delicious oven-baked turkey meatballs are ready to be served.
Store without the tomato sauce in the fridge for almost 4 days (place it in an air-tight container).
Freeze without the tomato sauce. Place separately, so they don’t mix. Let them cool on the baking sheet, then transfer to the freezer for 30 minutes. Once frozen, place in an air-tight container for 3 months in the freezer.
1.6) Slow cooker Turkey Chili
This healthy turkey chili is a family recipe made with lean ground turkey, fresh vegetables, and a simple chili seasoning. Try one of the comforting and healthy ground turkey recipes.
1) Olive oil (1 tbsp)
2) Lean ground turkey (1 lb)
3) Diced onions (1 medium)
4) Garlic cloves (3)
5) Chili powder (2 tbsp)
6) Ground cumin (1 tbsp)
7) Paprika (2 tsp)
8) Salt and black pepper
9) Tomato sauce (14.5 oz can)
10) Diced tomatoes (14.5 oz can)
11) Chicken broth or stock (1 cup)
12) Black beans (15 oz)
13) Red kidney beans (15 oz)
14) Corn (1 cup – canned or frozen)
The meal prep time taken for this recipe in a slow cooker is 10 minutes, with 4 hours of cooking time. The servings can be adjusted accordingly.
1) Take a skillet, place it on medium heat, let the oil heat up, then add ground turkey. Stir occasionally till the turkey starts to brown.
2) add onion and cook for 2 minutes, then add garlic and cook another 30 seconds.
3) After removing from heat, add onion and ground turkey to the slow cooker—season with cumin, chili, smoked paprika, pepper, and salt.
4) add chicken stock, diced tomatoes, beans, and corn. Stir everything, cover with a lid, and cook for 4 hours (on low) and 8 hours (on high).
Your delicious slow cooker turkey chili is ready to be served, and you can choose any toppings from green onions, avocado, shredded cheese, and Greek yogurt.
The timings of the recipe are to be followed strictly, cooking for 5 or 10 hours might change the taste and texture.
The leftovers can be stored in the fridge or frozen for up to 3 months.
1.7) Thai Turkey Meatballs
Are you a fan of fusion healthy ground turkey recipes? These Thai meatballs with a creamy red curry sauce might just make you one.
1) Ground turkey (2 lbs)
2) Fresh basil (1/3 cup)
3) Garlic cloves (4)
4) Green onion (2)
5) Fish sauce (2 tbsp)
6) Red curry paste (1 tsp)
7) Sugar (2 tbsp)
8) Cornstarch (1 tbsp)
9) Kosher salt (2 tsp)
10) vegetable oil (2 tbsp)
For Curry Sauce
1) Finely diced yellow onions (3/4 cup)
2) Garlic cloves (4)
3) Thai red curry paste (2 tbsp)
4) Coconut milk or cream (14 oz – 2 cans)
5) Lime juice (2 limes)
6) Fish sauce (1 tbsp)
7) Sugar (1 tbsp)
8) Sea salt, fresh basil, cilantro leaves, and chili flakes.
The meal prep time for these turkey meatballs is 15 minutes, with 45 minutes of cooking time. It has eight servings.
For The Meatballs
1) Take a large bowl with your hands and mix the ground turkey, basil, garlic, onions, fish sauce, cornstarch, curry paste, and salt.
2) Take a large skillet – heat vegetable oil on medium-high heat till it glistens.
2) Scoop meatballs into small portions (golf ball size), 2 tbs each, and 30 on a baking sheet or plate.
Roll the meatballs. Cook them in batches until they are browned, they don’t have to be cooked thoroughly. Then, place them on a plate.
For The Curry Red Sauce
1) From the meatball pan – drain off all the oil, except 1 tbsp. On medium heat, add onions till they soften (around 5 minutes.)
2) Add garlic and cook for a minute longer, then curry paste, smear it with a wooden spoon.
3) Add coconut milk whisk it till it’s a paste and has a smooth texture.
4) Add lime juice, sugar, salt, fish sauce, then combine again.
1) Boil over high heat; mix them with the curry sauce before adding the meatballs. Turn down the heat.
2) Cover it and let it simmer till the sauce thickens and meatballs are cooked, with a 165°F in the center (around 20 minutes).
3) You can add fresh basil and salt to taste.
Serve these delicious curry turkey meatballs with cooked rice and roasted or fresh veggies. For additional heat, add more pepper flakes and cilantro.
Health tip: This is a low-carb meal with dairy and gluten-free options. Do try out this mix-up.
1.8) Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet
One of the all-in-one healthy ground turkey recipes is quick and easy to make, paired with healthy sides like fruit or cucumber salad.
1) Sweet potatoes (1 pound)
2) Chili (powder – 1 tbsp)
3) Ground cumin (1 tsp)
4) Cayenne pepper (1/8 tsp)
5) Onion or garlic powder (1/2 tsp)
6) Sea salt and cracked pepper
7) Olive oil (2 tbsp)
8) Lean ground turkey(1 pound)
9) Black beans (1 can – drained and rinsed)
10) cheddar cheese (freshly grated – 1 cup)
11) Optional: Fresh cilantro, lime, diced avocado, and a sauce. Serve this with cauliflower rice.
1) Take the sweet potatoes, wash and scrub them. Pierce the skin (6-8 times), then cook them on the plate in the microwave (around 10 minutes – on both sides) till they are tender.
Time can vary depending on the size of the potatoes.
2) For the seasonings, add chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, onion and garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
3) Meanwhile, heat olive oil on medium heat, add ground turkey, and cook (around 7 minutes). Break off the meat drain any extra liquid.
Add the seasoning, then cook for another 3 minutes, till it’s fully cooked.
4) For the potatoes, cut the ends off and slice them in half. Make sure they are tender enough, then pull the skin off and discard them.
Dice them into small pieces of 1/2 inches. Add this to the cooked ground turkey mix and the black beans. Stir all of this till it’s warm, and sprinkle with cheese.
How To Serve?
Once done, cover the skillet and let the cheese melt for almost 4 minutes. You can also add a choice of your toppings like parsley, cilantro, and fresh lime wedges.
1) Choose the most petite potatoes which can be fully cooked within the given time.
2) If you want a cheese-free option, add the sauce for the extra creamy taste.
2) Other Healthy Ground Turkey Recipes
Don’t worry; for those who couldn’t match your taste with the above list, we have more healthy ground turkey recipes for you.
2.1) Taco Zucchini Boats
Among the healthy ground turkey recipes, low in carbs, this one is a good replacement for corn tortilla tacos and filled with delicious veggies like Roma tomatoes, onion, and garlic is jam-packed into a cheesy zucchini. Click here to view the entire recipe.
2.2) Best Turkey Burgers
Made with – ground turkey, delicious spices, and flavors, these burgers are a healthier and equally tasty variety to beef burgers.
With healthy carbs and proteins using ingredients like dijon mustard veggies like tomato and onion, this is one must-try healthy ground turkey recipe. Click here.
2.3) Best Turkey Tacos
For healthy ground turkey recipes with a perfect taco seasoning mix, these easy-to-make and juicy tacos are enough to leave you satisfied.
The Taco salad uses fresh vegetables, with a creamy cilantro lime dressing and cheesy and veggie taco topping. Do we need to repeat taco? Click here to try this out.
2.4) Spinach And Feta Turkey Burgers
Under summertime healthy ground turkey recipes, these burgers are a good replacement for hamburgers and hot dogs. Using lettuce, tomato, and a delicious sauce, make it here.
2.5) Ground Turkey Stroganoff
Typically, stroganoff stars traditional beef with a creamy sauce. However, this is a variant of healthy ground turkey recipes.
Underground turkey recipes as comfort food, this one fits well with a creamy sour cream sauce made of mushrooms and paprika.
This can also be served traditionally with egg noodles as a weeknight meal, or you can have it with mashed potatoes as well. Click here to check it out.
2.6) Ground Turkey Stuffed Peppers
Among gluten-free healthy ground turkey recipes, this one is a healthier alternative to the traditional stuffed peppers, prepared using green bell peppers, Italian seasoning, and cheddar cheese.
An added benefit of making this recipe would be its versatility. It can be switched with ground beef, made with more veggies, and you can even choose the cheese of your choice. Click here for the recipe.
2.7) Salsa Turkey Meatloaf Muffins
In healthy ground turkey recipes that are Instagram-worthy, this one uses only five ingredients: oats, egg, onions, salsa, and ground turkey to make a yummy meatloaf dish.
You can control your portions and avoid red meat with this recipe, click here for the instructions.
2.8) Ground Turkey Sloppy Joes
Under revisiting classic healthy ground turkey recipes, these sloppy joes are a healthier twist with simple ingredients like meat, veggies, spices, and broth.
Click here to view the recipe, and you can also adjust the servings for your whole family.
2.9) Ground Turkey Stir Fry
This is one of the easiest healthy ground turkey recipes with just four ingredients of ground turkey, bell peppers, grated carrots, and cabbage.
For making a quick dinner with a homemade stir fry sauce, click here.
2.10) Spaghetti Squash Casserole
One of the baked healthy ground turkey recipes, this comforting and hearty spaghetti squash casserole is packed with enough health benefits to give it a try.
It is gluten-free, Whole 30 approved, dairy-free and perfect for the paleo diet. So, for a healthy meal, click here.
2.11) Ground Turkey Chili
Perfect for healthy ground turkey recipes in wintertime, this one uses a warm chili packed with spices and protein.
With veggies, delicious sauces, and storage tips of the dish, you must try this out. Click here.
2.12) Zucchini Noodles With Ground Turkey Marinara
Part of weeknight healthy ground turkey recipes, these noodles are a low-carb pasta option without the starch.
With some leftover thanksgiving turkey, veggies, and seasonings, you can serve this delicious marinara sauce with easy-to-make noodles. Click here for the whole recipe.
2.13) Turkey Breakfast Patties
One of the healthy ground turkey recipes for breakfast is a quick-to-make recipe inspired by Asian flavors. It has dairy-free, low carb, and gluten-free options. Click here to try out this grab-and-go option.
For healthy ground turkey recipes targetting weight loss, click here to view some suggestions.
If you liked this article, check this out for other meat options.
Any information found on the site does not constitute legal or medical advice. Should you face health issues, please visit your doctor to get yourself diagnosed. Icy Health offers expert opinions and advice for informational purposes only. This is not a substitute for professional medical advice.