What Is A Plant Based Diet?
Plant based diet recipes consist of foods from plants, free of animal products like meat, eggs, and milk. It can also be part of whole foods or natural foods unrefined and not processed.
Plant based diet recipes would consist of the following food groups:
1) Fruits of all kinds like apples, grapes, bananas, citrus fruits, and so forth.
2) Veggies like corn, peppers, spinach, lettuce, and peas.
3) Root vegetables like carrots, potatoes, parsnips, and so forth.
4) Whole grains like cereals, quinoa, brown rice, and oats.
5) Beans like lentils and pulses (Legumes of any kind).
Other foods part of plant based diet recipes are nuts, avocados, tofu, and plant-based milk. However, they need to be taken with caution, depending on your diet.
The health benefits of having plant-based meals include:
1) Weight management – you have a leaner diet, which will help you lose weight quickly; this is an excellent alternative to a calorie-rich diet.
2) Preventing diseases – Plant-based meals help prevent and reverse chronic diseases like heart problems and diabetes.
The key is they eliminate harmful foods high in saturated fat and cholesterol found in meat and dairy products.
Other benefits include better liver function, healthy kidneys, and lower chances of arthritis.
3) A plant based diet won’t only benefit your health but can cause a healthier climate and less environmental footprint.
4) Lastly, the ingredients used for plant-based recipes are healthy and cheaper to afford.
Let us look at some delicious plant-based recipes to try out.
1) Plant Based Diet Recipes
Here, Plant based diet recipes might match vegan recipes, but a vegan diet includes imitation cheese and meat, while plant-based foods use natural ingredients.
The best part of having plant based diet recipes is that you can customize the ingredients even in your favorite foods like veggie burgers. Here are some combinations you can try out.
1.1) Favorite Plant-Based Recipes
Many food sites list their favorite plant-based diet recipes; here are some of the best choices to make.
1.1.1) Buddha Bowl
Just how Buddha used a large bowl to carry small portions of food, the internet came up with this term to describe nutritious vegan bowls with veggies and flavorful sauce.
This vegan recipe uses the following ingredients:
1) Turmeric Tahini Sauce
2) cooked vegetables like roasted sweet potatoes
3) raw vegetables like radish, carrots, and cabbage
4) Leafy greens like kale
5) Legume like chickpeas
6) Brown rice as a grain
To check out the instructions, and other plant based diet recipes, click here.
1.1.2) Tofu And Veggies In Peanut Sauce
This meat-like recipe is perfect for a family of 4 and takes only 20 minutes to make, easy like other plant based diet recipes.
1) Peanut oil (a vegetable oil)
2) Ground paste-like creamy peanut butter
3) Veggies like broccoli, red bell pepper, and mushrooms
4) Soy vegetable protein, like tofu, and for extra taste – soy sauce.
Pair all of this together with molasses, cayenne pepper, and vinegar. To view the steps of this recipe, click here.
1.1.3) Kale Salad With Carrot Ginger Dressing
This colorful salad, which resembles the famous trend of kale salad, can be made as one of the plant based diet recipes.
1) Roasted vegetables like carrots, pairing them with olive oil, vinegar, and ginger (Carrot ginger dressing.)
2) Greens like kale and legumes like roasted chickpeas.
3) Veggies like radish and beet
4) Creamy avocado
5) For seasoning and taste, add on seeds like pepitas and sesame, along with salt and pepper.
For tips, like keeping the creamy avocado as a last-minute addition, storing multiple days, and other meal prep ideas, click here to view the recipe.
1.1.4) Adzuki Bean Bowls
This tasty bowl of grains made of adzuki beans has many health benefits like better heart health and lower cholesterol levels. Their sweet and nutty flavor can be paired with other plant based diet recipes.
1) Cooked adzuki beans (you can also substitute with black beans)
2) Cooked rice of any kind like brown, white, or even quinoa (plant-based protein)
3) Crispy combo of napa cabbage, carrots, and snap peas
4) Fresh herb like cilantro. You can also add mint and basil.
5) For the dressing, use miso paste, vinegar, and olive oil
For meal prep ideas and other plant based diet recipes to try out, click here.
1.1.5) Stuffed Poblano Peppers
Voted as a favorite summertime dinner recipe of love and lemons, this fresh and light recipe, with fresh veggies and other plant-based choices, is a must-try.
1) Rice of choice (white or brown) and black beans.
2) Veggies like bell pepper and red onion increases the flavor. A mix of cauliflower rice would make a hearty filling.
3) Spices like Cumin, oregano, and coriander for the aromatic flavor.
4) Fresh spinach
5) To give a tangy flavor, add lime juice with tomatillo salsa.
For tips, notes, and detailed steps, of this 40-minute recipe, click here.
1.1.6) Butternut Squash Soup
A favorite fall recipe of love and lemons – this comforting soup is a creamy and nourishing choice to satisfy lunch cravings, among the plant based diet recipes.
1) Butternut squash (medium squash would work)
2) Flavorful veggies like yellow onion and garlic
3) Fresh herbs like sage and rosemary
4) To get a warm autumn taste, add ginger
5) Vegetable broth as a base for the creamy butternut squash
6) add ginger, salt, and black pepper to tie the rich flavors together.
To get the directions and serving suggestions of this recipe, click here.
1.1.7) Shiitake Mushroom Bowls With Creamy Miso Sauce
This umami-rich take on a savory restaurant side dish with vegan sauce is an excellent protein-packed choice.
1) Shiitake mushrooms – the main ingredient
2) Veggies like red onion and kale
3) Legumes like chickpeas
4) Add chopped garlic, red pepper, and miso paste to flavor the dish.
5) Optional choices for serving: grain of your choice like cooked farro, fresh basil leaves, and sesame seeds.
To read the exciting story behind this recipe and to know the steps to make it restaurant-style, click here
1.2) Easy Plant-Based Recipes
Easy plant based diet recipes include nourishing and comforting food that can be whipped up quickly and made during any season.
1.2.1) Vegan Broccoli Soup
This creamy and dairy-free soup is made of a yummy savory combination of veggies, herbs, and potatoes.
1) Whole vegetables like broccoli
2) Potatoes and cashews (this adds a creamy and gooey texture in many vegan recipes)
3) Carrots for the color
4) Onion, Garlic, and celery to add the savory taste
5) Fresh dill (A secret source that gives you a cheesy flavor without the cheese) – although not advised, add nutritional yeast as a substitute for the same texture.
Tie this all up with some olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. For extra tips and plant-based diet recipes to make this recipe, click here.
1.2.2) Vegan One Pot Creamy Garlic Parmesan Pasta
This warm and filling pasta is best for those shifting to vegan plant based diet recipes, with gluten-free and soy-free choices.
1) Vegan butter and parmesan cheese.
2) Vegan noodles are like uncooked fettuccine noodles.
3) Fresh herbs like parsley
4) Vegetable broth
5) For the creamy texture, add coconut milk
Season it with salt and pepper. You can also substitute parmesan cheese with another vegan kind. For more tips and steps to make this recipe, click here.
1.2.3) Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
This is an easy vegan and gluten-free option for making a sweet-savory dish from sweet potato, cashew cream, and broccoli salad, perfect for the fall season plant based diet recipes.
For broccoli salad
Mix Dijon mustard, lemon juice, scallions, garlic, and olive oil, for a bright, fresh and tangy salad.
For cashew cream
Mix baked sweet potatoes, cashews, lemon, and rosemary, for a sweet, rich, and savory flavor.
1) Hemp seeds for the crunch
2) As a finishing touch, add fresh parsley
Tip: Cheddar cheese can be added according to one’s taste.
To bake this sweet potato dish with a rich filling, click here to view the whole recipe.
1.2.4) Easy Vegan Drunken Noodles
This vegan noodle recipe is a good weeknight meal option, inspired by the pad kee mao – famous Thai noodles.
1) Gluten-free options like rice noodles, tofu, and soy sauce
2) Veggies like green cabbage, peppers (red, yellow, and jalapeno), onion, scallions, and garlic.
3) Mix with toasted sesame oil, Thai basil leaves, lime juice, and brown sugar for seasoning.
To check out the use of the ingredients and the step to make these drunken noodles, along with recommendations of other plant based diet recipes, click here.
1.2.5) Chickpea Salad Sandwich
This vegan recipe of chickpea salad, perfect for bringing out the flavors of spring and summer, uses delicious veggies, herbs, and olives to spin the pan bagnat dish.
For the Chickpea salad
1) Drained and rinsed chickpeas
2) Tahini sauce (for the rich and creamy texture)
3) Dijon mustard, lemon juice, and capers for the tangy flavor.
4) Green onions, black pepper, garlic cloves, and salt for finishing the salad.
For the sandwiches
1) Olives for the briny flavor
2) Veggies like onion and green beans
3) To round the sandwiches, add radishes, fresh basil, and cucumbers.
Tip: If you don’t have these ingredients, substitute them with leafy greens, red peppers, and tomatoes.
Bread can be of your choice; the one used here is a fresh baguette
To make this recipe, click here and get ideas on how to serve it with more healthy choices of plant based diet recipes.
1.2.6) Vegan Ground Beef
Can you think of plant based diet recipes replacing meat? This grain-free, soy-free, high-protein recipe is easy to prepare and a must-try summer dish.
1) Uncooked green lentils
2) Veggies like canned beets, onion, and mushrooms.
3) superfood like flaxseed meal
4) Gluten-free coconut flour
5) For seasoning, add garlic powder, salt, pepper, and smoked paprika.
6) For a good umami flavor, add nutritional yeast.
To follow up comments on this recipe, its variations, and other plant based diet recipes, click here.
1.2.7) Vegan Turkey
Another meat-replacing recipe is this easy and juicy vegan turkey that can be roasted for holidays.
1) Vital Wheat Gluten – to add the meat texture of the ground turkey, it does not have a substitute.
2) Garbanzo Beans or Chickpeas – added as a protein, and to reduce the chewiness of the gluten ingredient, this can be substituted with tofu, white and pinto beans.
3) Broth of your choice (chicken style or made of vegetables) – this is to add flavor
4) Neutral Flavored Oil is an optional ingredient; you can add moistness to the meat. However, you can also skip a basing liquid.
5) For flavoring, add fresh sage, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and ground pepper.
For helpful tools, tips, and instructions, to make this recipe, click here.
1.2.8) Pico De Gallo
With only 5 ingredients, this classic, fresh and healthy Mexican dip can be paired, with any meal of your choice, including other plant based diet recipes.
They can substitute salsa easily; however, some key differences can affect the texture like this dip uses fresh ingredients giving a chunkier consistency.
1) Roma tomatoes (these are firm, have fewer seeds, and produce less juice – favorable for the dish texture)
2) White onion (the pungent taste works well with Mexican dips)
6) For seasoning, add sea salt, garlic powder, and cayenne.
This classic dip can be served on top vegan tacos, enchiladas, and more favorite snacks of your choice. Click here to try it out.
1.2.9) Vegetarian Cauliflower Rice Skillet Meal
This easy and healthy one-pot dinner is perfect for busy weeknights, with the same flavors but a lighter texture than pasta.
1) Vegetables like yellow onion, cremini mushrooms, and half-circles zucchini.
2) Cauliflower rice
3) Olive oil, salt, dried oregano, red pepper flakes, marinara sauce, fresh parsley, and parmesan cheese for trying the dish together.
Tip: To make it vegan skip the cheese or add a vegan option.
This cauliflower recipe also contains 2.8 gm net carbs, making it an excellent alternative to brown rice for those who follow keto, paleo, or low-carb diets.
To check out the steps and quantity of each ingredient to use, click here.
If you didn’t find your favorite ingredients here, click more plant-based diet recipes.
If you haven’t already tried out a plant-based meal, don’t worry, this article will guide you through the journey of plant based diet recipes.
Any information found on the site does not constitute legal or medical advice. Should you face health issues, please visit your doctor to get yourself diagnosed. Icy Health offers expert opinions and advice for informational purposes only. This is not a substitute for professional medical advice.