In everyone’s routine sleep plays an important role. A good night’s sleep decides your tomorrow’s day. In any case, you can’t get proper sleep then you will feel low or less energetic the next day. This will affect your whole day’s work or activities. For a healthy lifestyle, it is very essential to take good sleep. But most people suffer from late-night sleep or sleeping disorders like insomnia.
Peoples’ habits affect their sleep health or sleep cycle. Some sleep on time and some go to the bed on time but never sleep on time. Later kind of people wants some solution for fast sleep. For them, this article “How to sleep fast in 5 minutes” is going to be a satisfying one.
What is Sleep Hygiene?
Before going to know about ‘how to sleep fast in 5 minutes’ let’s learn about sleep hygiene. You all hear about the word ‘hygiene,’ but “Sleep Hygiene” is going to be quite an uncommon word for you.
Sleep hygiene is a way of maintaining a clean bedroom environment and a healthy night routine. For better sleep, it is very important to keep good sleep hygiene. Good sleep hygiene is nothing but your sleep habits which you add to your routine and will help you to fall asleep with ease.
Sleep quality determines your next day’s activities and obviously, a night of quality sleep will be good for physical and mental health conditions. And in this, a healthy nighttime or bedtime routine will help you fall asleep faster.
How to Keep Better Sleep Hygiene?
- The first and most important thing is to keep the bedroom fresh and tidy because no one likes to sleep in a cluttered room.
- A proper sleep environment includes a clean bed with a relaxing matrix, dim light, device-free, and some fragrance candles for relaxation.
- Always follow a sleep routine of going to bed and getting up on time. This will create a healthy sleep cycle.
How to Sleep Fast in 5 Minutes?
Do you sleep so late or don’t fall asleep fast once you get on the bed? Then don’t worry! you’re not alone who’s having such issues. Most people are having sleep problems and that’s why they want to know how to sleep fast in 5 minutes?
Well, there is no quick solution of fall asleep faster within a few minutes. But through these techniques and tips, you can fall asleep quickly in 5 minutes. After reading this article you don’t need to search about how to sleep fast in 5 minutes.
1. Breathing Techniques
Whenever you are stressed out, people will say to you to do some sort of breathing exercises. And it works very well on your mind and calms you. Multiple breathing techniques vary in benefits and practices are present.
Breathing exercise will reduce stress, anxiety, keep the mind calm, and ultimately it helps you to fall asleep quickly. It is the best technique for those who want to know, how to sleep fast in 5 minutes. The most common and effective breathing methods for you to fall asleep fast are as follows;
1. Bhramari Pranayama
Bhramari pranayama also known as bee breathing practice is the best breathing exercise to do on daily basis before bed. This will improve sleep quality and also be helpful for fast sleep. The humming sound produced while exhalation causes a natural calming effect.
- Sit in a straight posture and close your eyes.
- Feel the body’s sensations and then cover the ears by pressing cartilage with the index finger.
- Breathe in slowly, exhale by making a humming sound while pressing the cartilage.
- Again do the same 4 to 5 times.
2. Nadi Shodhana Pranayama
Another name for this breathing exercise is nasal breathing exercise. This is a kind of controlled breathing exercise that is used for relaxation and peace. It mainly focuses on cleaning the passage of air. In this breathing technique, you need to cover one side of the nostril with the thumb either right or left, at the same time inhaling through another side of the nostril. And then slowly exhale through the nostril you covered earlier. Repeat this cycle for few times as per your choice and strength.
In this way, this breathing exercise is extremely good for your mind and also for nasal passage cleansing.
Kapalbhati is most common and done by lots of people. It is an easy and good technique for those who are masters at doing breathing exercises. In this breathing method, you simply sit in a straight posture and inhale slowly, and then exhale forcefully.
Either you can do it in a cross-legged position or in Virasana posture. During every exhalation, contract your stomach muscles. If you’re at the beginning state then try small sets of this exercise. This clams your mind and you fall asleep very quickly within 5 minutes.
4. Box Breathing or Square Breathing Method
This breathing technique works on your nervous system and relaxes your mind. It is mostly used by military persons to calm the nervous system. This will help you fall asleep fast as it immediately clams and relaxes you.
One cycle of box breathing is completed in four steps, each step completes on a count of four. Inhale slowly through the nose then hold the air in the lungs. On the count of four, exhale completely through the mouth. Then hold yourself in an exhaling situation.
5. 4-7-8 Breathing Method
This breathing method is so similar to pranayama. It was given by Dr. Andrew Weil, then he refers to it as a natural tranquilizer for the nervous system. Before going to bed, do this breathing practice.
- Sit in a back straight position in a comfortable place.
- Then first exhale through your mouth while your tongue touches the back of your teeth.
- Now, inhale through the nostril, with closed lips. Inhale for a count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Then exhale through the mouth for a count of eight.
In this way, one cycle is completed, and then do next three rounds. Doing this controlled breathing practice daily before going to bed will improve sleep quality and you fall asleep instantly.
2. Some Muscle Relaxation Techniques
This is another way in this list how to sleep fast in 5 minutes. When you feel relaxed both physically and mentally, you can easily fall asleep immediately after heading the bed. That’s why it is always recommended to do some deep muscle relaxation exercises before bedtime. These relaxing techniques work on each part of the body. The main focus is on tensing the muscles and then relaxing them. Follow the below-given steps to do deep muscle relaxation.
- Raising eyebrows to create tension in the forehead muscles and then let them relax.
- Create tension in cheek muscles through wide smiling for 5 seconds.
- Then relax muscles around the jaw, mouth, and neck.
- Move shoulders in a circular motion to relax hand and shoulder muscles.
- Similarly do muscle relaxation to the muscles of the legs, foot, and toe.
After such progressive muscle relaxation techniques, you will fall asleep within five minutes. As it causes a tranquil effect on your body.
3. Try to Avoid the Use of Electronics
Everyone knows that electronic devices especially mobile phones always used by people every time. Technology-related items affect your brain and also disrupt the natural sleep cycle. As you already know that mobile phones emit blue light. Blue light affects the production of the melatonin hormone, which is responsible for a healthy sleep cycle.
Use of mobile before bed will be the main reason behind not falling asleep fast. Many people want the solution to the question of how to sleep fast in 5 minutes, but don’t want to skip mobile phones before bed. If you really want to solve the problem of how to sleep fast in 5 minutes, then avoid the use of mobiles before bed.
4. Follow a Proper Bedtime Routine
Everyone needs to have a proper bedtime routine for better sleep quality and more important for falling asleep without any problem. From many research studies, it has been observed that every one person out of three is suffering from sleeping issues like; insomnia, less sleep, or not falling asleep at night time. There are soo many reasons for that but the major one is not having a bedtime routine.
This will include some simple and pleasant activities or rituals, which you do on-time set by you. These activities will affect your sleep quality. Make sure that you will follow all the bedtime rituals on time. It is not like one day you do it at 9:00 pm or on another day it will be at 11:00 pm. This will disrupt your routine and also confused your body’s natural sleep cycle. Hence, it is very important to make a habit to go to bed on time every day.
Once you will start following a bedtime routine, your body gets adapted to it and ultimately you will be falling asleep on time. Sleeping on time and waking up on time, automatically resolve all the sleeping-related issues, and you will sleep faster just by going to bed.
Rituals You Need to Follow for Night Routine:
To follow sleep rituals you don’t need hours just 30-40 minutes are enough. Although, every people has a difference in daily routine, interests, or body clock. If some activities don’t fit your preference, then you don’t need to follow them. Select and do only those activities which you feel are good and suit your personal preference.
- Cleanse face with gentle scrubbing for one minute.
- Take a warm bath (during winter) or a normal water shower (during summer) one or two hours before going to bed.
- Lit scented candles to create a relaxing scene around you.
- Prefer dim light for reading, listening to music, doing muscle relaxation, or praying before sleep.
- Take a cup of chamomile tea, which is good for sleep. It contains antioxidants that are responsible to improve sleep quality. (Note: a cup of chamomile tea to drink every day is safe.)
Do all the above-mentioned activities on time according to your schedule. Stick to that time routine and follow these rituals, you will ultimately see your sleeping quality will be improving. Once you follow this night routine you will stop asking how to sleep fast in 5 minutes.
5. Avoid Heavy Dinner
Eating habits are responsible for various kinds of changes in the body as well as the sleep cycle. For a healthy sleep and to fall asleep fast it is necessary that you keep your diet healthy. Although eating nutritious food is always good for people but eating at the wrong time will be a worse thing for them.
That’s why it is recommended to avoid heavy dinner or late-night eating. This causes many health issues along with sleeping troubling. Late-night eating habits have the following consequences.
- Digestive system problem
- High blood sugar level
- Heart diseases
- Brain health also affected
Whenever you take a heavy dinner and don’t take the gap between your dinner and bedtime, you will suffer from indigestion problems. As a result, you don’t get proper sleep. Another reason to avoid heavy dinner is acid reflux. Do you know eating food not on time or irregularly at any time will affect your brain, memory, learning ability, and concentration? Hence, it is essential to eat the right food, at the right time, and in the right proportion.
Ways to Solve Heavy or Late-Night Eatings:
- Say ‘No’ to junk food or high fat-containing food items.
- Irregular or late sleep habits cause night-eating carvings. So, try to fall asleep early to avoid night cravings.
- Make your mood happy and stress-free before going to bed. The stressed person feels more hungry and wants to eat snacks at night.
- Spices are the main part of Indian cuisine, but spicy food at dinner is not good for health.
- Avoiding a heavy diet at night doesn’t mean reducing your calories. Never limit your calories instead of that costume required calories but around 8:00 pm.
- Eating early sometimes makes you feel empty, in such case you will eat healthy snacks like dry fruits or nuts, fruits, etc.
6. Do some yoga poses
Stress and anxiety are the main reason for less sleep and sleeping disorder. Once you work on relieving your tension or stress, ultimately your sleeping issues will be solved. Have you ever noticed when you feel good you fall asleep without any problem?
In many people sleeping issues and insomnia have been observed due to stress. There are some yoga poses that work on your brain and nervous system. Yoga will help you to keep calm and relaxed. Do any of the below-given yoga poses to de-stressed yourself. That’s why it is always suggested to practice yoga whenever people ask how to sleep fast in 5 minutes.
Yoga Poses to Sleep Fast:
Do the following yoga poses before going to bed. It will take only five minutes to do all four poses. After this small yoga session, your entire body and nervous system come into a calm state. This results in quick sleep and also improves your sleep duration.
1. Child Pose (Balasana)
One of the best poses to relieve all the stress. This pose is a kind of resting pose, which gives a calm feeling. To do this pose follow these steps:
- Sit in kee bending position on a yoga mat or bed.
- Raise both hands towards the ceiling with inhalation.
- Now, move your upper body part forward till your stomach gets in touch with your thighs.
- Head and hand touch the ground. In this position stretch your hands and take 6-8 deep breaths.
2. Leg Ups the Wall (Viparita Karani)
This pose is good to recirculate blood to the legs and feet. It is done against a wall.
- Lie down against a wall or on the head side of the bed with legs hanging vertically.
- Your legs vertically touch the wall and make a 90-degree angle with the upper body.
- Hands touching the ground in this pose.
- Take slow breaths in this pose as long as you can.
- Once you have done, bend the knees and slowly come out in a normal seated position.
3. Corpse Pose (Savasana)
It is also a resting pose in which you lie down and lose all the tension from head to toe.
- Simply lie down on the ground or bed on your back with hands and legs are slightly apart from your body.
- Close your eyes and take long breaths for 2-3 minutes.
- After this slowly roll to one side and sit up in a sitting position.
7. Practice journaling
Studies have shown that journaling helps in clearing thoughts, removing worries, and reducing overthinking. When too much going on in your mind, then falling asleep is going to be difficult for you. Hence, journaling is the best way to keep your mind calm. Writing all your thoughts, worries, and feelings in a diary will help you to clear your mind. This is also the best technique for how to sleep fast in 5 minutes.
Daily practice of journaling before bedtime is the best method to relax your mind and remove all the tension of the whole day. Every day many kinds of events and things happen to you that are consciously and unconsciously going in your mind. When you write down all the things, you feel so relaxed and also get clarity in your thought process. That’s why make it in your habit to write at least one page daily before going to sleep.
8. Conducive bedroom environment
How to sleep fast in 5 minutes? The solution to this question lies in your bedroom. The bedroom environment is also important for better quality sleep. But many people even did not pay attention to their bedroom environment or mattress and wanted a quick solution for how to sleep fast in 5 minutes. A clean and tidy bedroom gives positive and pleasing vibes, that relieve all your tension and anxiety. As a result, you sleep quickly.
From many studies, it is clear that people who have a relaxing and clean environment get better sleep than people having a cluttered bedroom. Some other factors like your room’s temperature, lightening of the room, quality of the mattress, or pillow, will also be the reason for trouble falling asleep.
How to Create a Perfect Sleep Environment?
- Always prefer a soft or firm mattress. Sleeping on the wrong type of bed gives you body pain and ultimately you don’t get good quality sleep. The mattress industry is growing day by day. A variety of mattresses are available in the market as per health conditions. So, invest in good quality mattresses and also in soft or thin pillows. Again the type of pillow also depends on your comfort.
- Use bedsheets of good quality and fabric. Multiple colors and designs are available in bedsheets. So, choose as per your choice or taste. But give importance to the quality of fabric. Another thing to keep in mind while choosing bed sheets is the weather conditions. For example, cotton or linen bed sheets are good to use during humid conditions. Whereas flannelette sheets are best for the winter season. Change bedsheets daily to keep the bed hygienic and clean.
- Turn off the lights to create a dark environment. It has been observed that a dark room gives stimulation the brain to produce the sleep hormone, melatonin. This hormone is produced by the pineal gland only in darkness. You can use an eye mask to produce melatonin, this is the best way to fall asleep fast.
- The use of scented candles or essential oils is an additional thing to make a conducive and sleeping-friendly bedroom environment. They stimulate olfactory nerves to send neurochemical signals to the brain. To that brain regulates the secretion of sleep or wake hormones. Essential oils like lavender oil give a pleasant feeling and reduce all the stress and anxiety, as a result, you fall asleep faster. The best essential oils for sleep are ylang-ylang, valerin, and clary sage that you can use for aromatherapy.
9. Avoid Napping After 3 PM
The second last way how to sleep fast in 5 minutes is to avoid napping after 3 pm. Do you ever notice that once you sleep in day time you will sleep late that night? This will happen with most people. Taking a short nap while at work energize and refreshes you. Hence, naps are good. But taking a long nap or napping at any time causes it difficult for you to fall asleep at night. Although, there is no doubt, taking a nap during the daytime will be refreshing for you.
It is always recommended to avoid longer naps or napping after 3:00 pm. Because after a long nap you will feel groggy instead of refreshed. Whereas, after 3:00 pm, if you take a nap it will affect your night sleep cycle due to which you don’t fall asleep.
10. A Little Reading
Last but the important tip for how to sleep fast in 5 minutes is a little reading. Reading is always considered good therapy for stress and sleep. The bedtime routine is completed only by reading books or stories. Have you all remembered about bedtime stories?
We all hear various bedtime stories in our childhood time. Hence, it is quite clear that listening to stories or reading any book is good for you to fall asleep quickly and peacefully.
No matter what kind of book you read, whether fiction or non-fiction. Just read some pages of the book, you will ultimately see the benefits of reading. And the most important thing is to avoid reading through e-books.
Hope this article ‘how to sleep fast in 5 minutes’ will be helpful for you. Try any of the above-mentioned techniques to fall asleep fast. Adding these techniques and tips to your daily lifestyle will help you to sleep fast and also resolve all the sleep-related issues. In case you don’t get benefit from these ways then consult a sleep medicine specialist.
Out of ten ways of how to sleep fast in 5 minutes, which one do you already in your lifestyle tell us in the comment section.
Content is medically reviewed periodically by professionals for accuracy and relevance. Reviewers include doctors, nurses, mental health professionals, and even medical students.