In today’s day and age, staying healthy is a must. Dieticians recommend a number of healthy recipes for your body’s all-around nourishment. Healthy zucchini bread is a nutrient-packed and tasty dish you might want to add to your regular diet. We list below some of the easiest recipes for zucchini bread.
This article will guide you on the ways to make healthy zucchini bread and offers suggestions as to how to prepare and enjoy it as well as why it is healthy.
1. Why Zucchini Bread Is Healthy?
Zucchini is one of the healthiest vegetables, which is rich in several nutrients. It is packed with minerals and is rich in Vitamin A which is essential for your vision and immunity, and Vitamin C which is vital in the formation of collagen.
A healthy way to incorporate this healthy vegetable into your diet is by making it tasty first! There are many ways to do so. You can add zucchini to your noodles, make zucchini salads or zucchini butter, or cook several tasty recipes with zucchini. However one of the newest and easiest ways to include zucchini is by baking bread with zucchini.
These zucchini bread recipes use natural ingredients like all-purpose flour (whole wheat), spelt flour, coconut, dried fruits and nuts, chocolates, and of course zucchini which are easy on your health and rich on your taste buds.
The recipes use different ingredients to bring out their individual flavours. Some have gluten-free and vegan alternatives. You just need to choose as per your preference. Whether it’s chocolate zucchini bread zucchini bread with maple syrup or a healthy zucchini bread recipe for your keto diet, we have it all!
Keep reading to find out about the five healthiest recipes for baking zucchini bread!
2. Healthy Zucchini Bread Recipe With Whole Wheat Flour
This recipe makes one of the tastiest and healthiest zucchini breads, as it uses white whole wheat flour, coconut oil, and natural honey instead of sugar. It is very easy to make and you’ll find your zucchini bread erupting with mouth-watering flavours from the hint of coconut to the slight orange zest and toasted nuts. It is ideal for breakfast and can even be made into healthy zucchini muffins!
To make this delicious recipe, you will need:
- Zucchini: Take a large bowl of shredded garden zucchini. Shredding the zucchini adds moisture to the bread so that a lot of oil is not required and the bread doesn’t turn greasy. You can also use frozen shredded zucchini.
- Honey: You will need some amount of naturally procured honey or maple syrup. Adjust the amount as per your taste.
- Eggs: You’ll need 2 eggs for the bread recipe. If you want to go vegan, use flax eggs.
- Milk: Any type of milk can be used in the bread. A vegan option would be to use unsweetened vanilla almond milk. If you want a tad bit sour, use freshly squeezed orange juice.
- Baking soda & salt: As with all other baking recipes, you’ll need baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Oil: A bit of additional melted coconut oil ensures enough moisture to the zucchini bread. If you don’t have coconut oil, feel free to use olive oil melted butter, or vegan butter.
2.1.1. For Flavor
- Vanilla: You may vanilla extracts for extra flavour and added richness.
- Orange zest: Using orange zest is totally optional but we bet you will love the citrus flavour it adds!
- Whole wheat pastry flour: Whole wheat pastry flour ensures your zucchini bread remains fluffy while including the fibre from whole grains. You can also use white whole wheat flour or all-purpose gluten-free flour.
- Cinnamon & nutmeg: You’re going to love the uniqueness that cinnamon & nutmeg brings to your zucchini bread.
You can add literally any type of mix-ins you want- fruits, dried fruits, chocolate chips, nuts, sprinkles. For this particular zucchini bread recipe, we are adding toasted chopped walnuts and dark chocolate chips.
2.2. Step-by-step Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Then grease an 8×4 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- While the oven preheats, prepare your wet ingredients. In a large bowl, mix the zucchini, honey, eggs, almond milk, vanilla extract, and orange zest (optional) until smooth.
- Prepare your dry ingredients in a separate medium bowl. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add this to the wet ingredients bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until a medium to thick consistency is reached.
- Next, add in coconut oil and mix again until well combined. Fold in the toasted nuts, dark chocolate chips, or any other mix-ins you want.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, sprinkle with some extra mix-ins, and bake for about fifty to sixty minutes until the tester comes out clean.
- Let the pan cool. Then you can remove and transfer the pan to a wire rack for your healthy zucchini bread to cool down. Cut into 12 or more slices and serve.
- A better way to serve the zucchini bread would be to slightly toast it with peanut butter. You can also enjoy it with a drizzle of honey and sprinkle some sea salt. It tastes really good!
- In case you need to freeze the bread, wrap the pieces in a plastic cling foil tightly, put it inside a freezer-friendly bag, and store it in the freezer. When you are willing to eat, thaw the zucchini bread at room temperature.
2.3. Nutrition Calories
In this zucchini bread which serves twelve pieces, nutrition values are:
- Calories: 202kcal
- Fat: 8.9g
- Saturated fat: 4.5g
- Carbohydrates: 28.5g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Sugar: 11.3g
- Protein: 3.9g
3. Keto Zucchini Bread Recipe
One of the best healthy zucchini breads is the keto zucchini bread, which is delicious and takes care of your health. Made with refined four’s substitute, almond flour, it can be the perfect breakfast. It is also truly easy to make and very filling in the stomach.
You should try baking this the next time you are in a baking frenzy!
To make this healthy zucchini bread recipe, you will need:
- Three medium to large-size zucchinis.
- Three large eggs. (Its vegan variety of flax egg will also work!)
- One and a half teaspoons of stevia glycerite which is a zero-calorie liquid sweetener. You can also use half a cup of sugar instead.
- One teaspoon of vanilla extract. This is optional.
- Two cups of almond flour (about 8 oz)
- One tablespoon of ground cinnamon.
- One-fourth teaspoon of Diamond Crystal kosher salt. If unavailable, use white salt.
- One teaspoon of baking soda.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Next, line a loaf pan (size- 8.5 X 4.5 inches) with butter paper or parchment paper so that there’s an overhang in your pan. Spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray or brush the pan with some avocado oil.
- Wash the zucchinis and grate them. You do not need to peel them. This is because the dark peels of the zucchini add a pretty greenish colour to the bread slices. At the same time, it’s delicate enough that it doesn’t interfere with the bread’s texture. Moreover, the outer skin of the zucchini is rich in fibre which improves digestion.
- Three medium-sized zucchini should make about two cups of grated zucchini.
- Next, place the grated zucchini in a clean kitchen towel to absorb as much water as you can. You will get quite a lot of water out, zucchinis are known for their excess moisture!
- Prepare wet ingredients in a medium bowl. Whisk together the eggs, stevia (or sugar), and vanilla extract. In another large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Using a rubber spatula, mix in the almond flour, cinnamon, kosher salt, and baking soda. Now add the grated zucchini. Add your dry ingredients to this bowl.
- Depending on how much moisture is left in the zucchinis, which again depends on how thorough you were when squeezing the water out of the zucchinis, you might have to add a little water to the mixture. Adding one tablespoon at a time is ideal so that the batter is thick but easy to mix. You can also add some melted coconut oil or avocado oil at this point if the mixture feels too dry.
- Your pan should be ready by now. Transfer the batter to the preheated pan and smooth it out with a spatula.
- Bake this zucchini bread for about forty to fifty minutes. Till then, it should be browned and set. However, test by inserting a toothpick in the zucchini bread at various points. If it comes out clean, your zucchini bread is done!
- To cool completely, use a wire rack. Or, if you are too eager, put it in the refrigerator, to speed things up. Whatever you do, do not try to slice up the zucchini bread while it is still hot.
Once cool completely, slice your zucchini bread into ten to twelve pieces and enjoy!
3.3 Recipe Notes
- Keep in mind that it is better to measure almond flour by its weight rather than by its volume.
- Although we have suggested you add oil while preparing your batter, the need for it might not rise. This bread is wonderfully moist because of the moist zucchinis. Also, almond flour itself contains a lot of fat and the eggs add fat too. So be careful with the fat content while making this recipe.
4. Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe
Who doesn’t love dishes made of chocolate? The rich flavour of chocolate is a unique taste liked by adults and children alike. But oftentimes such desserts are harmful to health and can promote several unhealthy conditions.
In this recipe, we combine taste with health. This white whole wheat flour double chocolate zucchini bread could be your perfect afternoon snack or a packed breakfast! If you love zucchini bread, you will love this healthy chocolate zucchini bread recipe.
For this recipe, you will require:
- Two cups of shredded zucchini. You’ll need about two medium-sized garden zucchini. Do not wring out the excess moisture from them, it’ll help to keep the zucchini bread moist.
- A stick (or a half cup) of unsalted butter.
- About four tablespoons of light brown sugar. Adjust according to your level of sweetness. Other healthy alternatives are honey or maple syrup.
- Two large eggs
- One teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Three cups of white whole-wheat flour. Spoon into a measuring cup then level off with a knife. Use buckwheat flour or almond flour, if you want it gluten-free!
- One-third cup of Dutch-process cocoa powder. You can substitute it with natural cocoa powder.
- A three-fourth teaspoon of salt (about two pinches).
- Half a teaspoon of baking powder and baking soda.
- A teaspoon of espresso powder or instant coffee. This is entirely optional.
- One small cup of semi-sweet (or sweet!) chocolate chips.
- One small cup of mini chocolate chips.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease an 8-1/2 x 4-1/2-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Next, place the stick of butter in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave for a minute, or until just melted. Bring out and stir the brown sugar into the butter until completely smooth.
- Next, add the eggs and the vanilla extract. Stir to a uniform consistency. Remember to add the eggs after the brown sugar is mixed in, as the hot butter alone could cook the eggs to some degree.
- Now prepare the dry ingredients in another large bowl. Whisk together the whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and instant coffee (if you are using it). Add your dry bowl to the butter mixture and stir until you get a medium-thick consistency. If the consistency is too runny, add some whole wheat flour. If it’s too thick, feel free to add some olive oil or melted coconut oil.
- It’s time to add the cups of shredded zucchini. Next, add chocolate chips.
- Using a spatula, spread the batter into the prepared loaf pan evenly. You can sprinkle mini chocolate chips for a delicious look!
- Bake for about an hour, then test it with a toothpick or cake tester. If it comes out clean (except for perhaps a smear from the melted chocolate chips. That’s fine). Let the loaf pan cool on a rack for about ten minutes before turning it out onto a rack to cool completely.
- Slice the zucchini bread into ten to twelve pieces. Your zucchini bread (better because it is chocolate-flavoured with lots of chocolate chips) is ready to be served, not to mention, enjoyed!
5. Zucchini Bread With Maple Syrup Glaze
Zucchini Bread with Maple syrup glaze can easily be one of the best zucchini recipes. It uses simple ingredients and the process of making the bread is even simpler!
For making zucchini bread with maple glaze you will need:
5.1.1. For The Healthy Zucchini Bread
- Two cups of shredded zucchini.
- Two eggs. You can also use vegetable oil instead.
- A cup of brown sugar or honey.
- Three-fourths cups of sugar
- One tablespoon of vanilla extract
- One-fourth cup of sour cream
- One-third cup of melted coconut oil.
- Half a cup of milk. It can be any kind of milk you prefer.
- Two cups of flour. The best healthy zucchini bread is made with oat flour, coconut flour, whole wheat flour, white whole wheat flour, spelt flour, or whole wheat pastry flour. These options are much healthier than regular whole wheat flour.
- One-and-half teaspoons of baking soda
- Half a teaspoon of salt
- About a teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- One-fourth teaspoon of nutmeg
- A cup of chopped candied walnuts.
- Some coarse sugar for topping, if you have.
- If you are allergic to nuts, make this recipe nut-free. Substitute almond milk with nut-free milk and do not use nuts in the recipe. Instead, use any other add-ins of your choice!
5.1.2. For the Maple syrup Glaze
- You will need four Tablespoons of salted butter.
- One-fourth cup of pure maple syrup.
- One cup of Confectioners’ sugar.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Place the shredded zucchini into a towel and squeeze it to drain. Sprinkle with a few pinches of salt and allow the shredded zucchini to sit for 10-15 minutes. The salt is for draining the excess water out of the zucchini so as to make the zucchini bread perfectly moist. Squeeze the towel and drain it once more. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs (or vegetable oil), brown sugar, sugar, vanilla flavouring, sour cream, and coconut oil. Add some milk and stir until smooth.
- Now, in another separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and walnuts. Fold your dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Add in the grated zucchini and fold into the batter until you get a semi-thick consistency
- Now spray a 9 x 5 loaf pan with oil and spread the batter uniformly. Sprinkle with coarse sugar (optional) and bake for about fifty minutes to one hour. Check with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, your zucchini bread is perfectly moist.
- Once the bread is finished baking, it is time to make the maple glaze. Heat butter in a small saucepan over low heat and add the pure maple syrup. Whisk in confectioner sugar and remove from heat. Pour this mixture on top of the whole wheat zucchini bread.
- Let the bread cool for a few minutes. Then cut into slices of ten. Once done, enjoy your zucchini bread with tea, for breakfast, as a snack, or whenever!
6. Quick And Healthy Zucchini Bread
In this zucchini bread recipe, we show you how to make the best zucchini bread with minimal preparation time. It is really easy to make and perfect for a quick bread snack.
For this healthy and quick bread recipe you will need:
- Three to four cups of grated garden zucchini or summer zucchini which is about 310g to 425g.
- Three-fourth cup of unsalted butter melted. You’ll also need more for greasing the loaf pan.
- Three cups, which is around 390g of all-purpose flour. You can use oat flour, spelt flour, coconut flour, regular whole wheat flour, or any GF flour but the baking time might increase.
- One teaspoon of baking soda
- One teaspoon of baking powder
- Two teaspoons of cinnamon powder
- Half a teaspoon of ground ginger
- One-fourth teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1 1/3 cups (270g) sugar
- Two large eggs, beaten.
- One-fourth teaspoon of common salt. This is only if you are using unsalted butter.
- A cup of chopped walnuts or pecans.
- A cup of dried cranberries or raisins or grated apple. These, however, are optional.
- To remove the moisture, so that your zucchini bread is perfectly moist when it comes out, place the grated summer zucchini in a sieve or colander over a bowl. However, if the zucchini’s moisture content is low, sprinkle water over it as it is in the sieve or colander, then let it drain. This helps to keep the bread moist.
- Next, preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans by brushing them with some butter. You can also use muffin tins instead of pans, for baking muffin bread!
- Next, in a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and ground nutmeg. Whisk vigorously so that all ingredients thoroughly overlap each other.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, vanilla, and salt (if the butter is salted, omit the salt). Stir thoroughly. Now add in the drained grated zucchini and then the melted butter.
- Add the dry flour mixture, a little at a time, to this wet sugar-egg-zucchini mixture. Stir after each addition.
- Add the nuts dried cranberries raisins, or grated apples if you are using them.
- To bake the bread, divide the batter equally between the preheated loaf pans or muffin tins. Bake for about forty-five to fifty minutes at 350°F or until a tester inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- After the baking is done, let it cool for about ten minutes. You can use wire racks to cool more thoroughly.
- Finally, cut it into ten slices and enjoy!
You can also add some maple syrup on top before serving if you want your zucchini bread to be extra sweet!
7. Tips for Making a Perfect Healthy Zucchini Bread
Here are some tips for making perfect zucchini bread:
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. This will help the dough rise evenly.
- Be sure to grease a loaf pan well, and then flour it before shaping the dough into a loaf. You may also wish to grease and flour your hands as well in order not to stick together while handling the batter.
- Bake the bread until it is golden brown on top and sounds hollow when tapped with your finger, about 60 minutes. It should also smell like sweets like baked goods should!
- Let cool completely before slicing and serving this healthy zucchini recipe
- Make sure your bread pan is well-seasoned
- Preheat your oven before beginning
- Sift the flour, salt, and baking powder together
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl
- Add the oil, sugar, and vanilla extract to the wet ingredients and mix until combined
- Stir in the zucchini until evenly distributed
- Pour the batter into your prepared bread pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean
- Let cool before slicing and serve
- It is important to use a nonstick baking pan when making this recipe, as well as good quality baking powder and sugar. There are also specific instructions on how to grease and flour the pans in order to make sure that the bread comes out without sticking or becoming too dense.
9. In The End
Since zucchini bread is one of the healthiest snacks, you can try other healthy zucchini recipes to keep your life simple. All these ingredients include lots of nutrients that support weight management and overall good health. Besides, this recipe tastes delicious and even gets better when made with the addition of nuts or fruits.
Hope you enjoyed reading this article on how to make healthy zucchini bread!
Click here to learn more about Healthy Recipes.
Q1. Which Type of Bread Is Best for a Healthy Snack?
Zucchini bread is a great option for breakfast because it’s high in fibre and nutrients. It can also be eaten as a snack or dessert, depending on how you prepare it.
Q2. How Do You Bake the Perfect Zucchini Bread?
Preheat your oven before beginning and grease and flour the pan. Don’t overmix the batter, as this can lead to a dense loaf of bread. Zucchini comes out best when baked at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Q3. Can Zucchini Bread Be Made Gluten-Free?
Yes, you can make this recipe gluten-free by using baking powder or replacing some of the wheat flour with an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend. However, note that it will not be as fluffy or light as regular zucchini bread thanks to the lack of starch from wheat.
Q4. Can You Replace Some of the Ingredients With Healthier Options?
Yes, some people enjoy substituting vegetable oil for butter or making their own applesauce from scratch. However, note that this will affect the nutritional value of the recipe.
Q5. What Are Some Variations of This Classic Recipe?
You can add nuts, raisins, or chocolate chips to the batter for a different flavour profile. Additionally, some people like to doctor up their zucchini bread with spices such as ginger, cardamom, or cinnamon.
Q6. How to Prevent Zucchini Bread From Being Dry and Crumbly?
Many people make the mistake of overmixing their batter, which can lead to a dry and crumbly loaf of bread. Be careful not to overwork the batter or you will end up with a heavy and dense loaf. In addition, preheat your oven before beginning and lightly grease and flour the pan for an even distribution of heat throughout the baking process.
Q7. How to Make Moist and Fluffy Zucchini Bread?
Zucchini bread is best when made with a light and fluffy texture. Be sure not to overmix the batter, as this can lead to a dense loaf of bread. Zucchini comes out best when baked at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In addition, preheat your oven before beginning and lightly grease and flour the pan for an even distribution of heat throughout the baking process.