Bathing is a cleanliness ritual that is diligently followed by folks. Bathing benefits are not confined to personal hygiene only. But it adds to other health benefits also.
If you are tired of dealing with stiff muscles or can’t stop scratching yourself, you can find easy relief through Epsom salt. How to use it or garner its benefits is exactly what we have covered in our article.
Epsom salt bath benefits genuinely make a long list. It is an inexpensive remedy for many infirmities. But what makes Epsom salt bath benefits myriad? To decode it, let’s dive into the constituents of Epsom salt.
What is Epsom Salt?
Magnesium sulfate or Epsom salt is commonly found in crystalline form that is easily soluble in water. Magnesium is an essential nutrient that keeps your body agile and at bay from some stiff muscles.
Epsom salt has got its name from a saline spring found in Epsom, Surrey, England. It has a bitter taste, unlike common salt, which is sodium-rich.
Epsom Salt Bath Benefits
Epsom salt is highly recommended by many to accelerate your digestion, keep your skin youthful, and treat some genuinely stiffed muscles. Below are some of Epsom salt bath benefits of which you might be unaware:
1. Accelerates digestion and gives relief from constipation
Magnesium is what you need if you often feel constipated. It can be used as a laxative to give you temporary relief from constipation.
Epsom salt increases water in your intestine and makes your stool soft. It gives great relief to your gut. Its detoxifying properties can genuinely help you to increase your bowel movements.
2. Release that stress
If managing multiple roles leave you stressed out, then try stress-releasing Epsom salt bath. When you have a magnesium deficiency, your mood gets affected. Lack of magnesium is related to stress and, whenever stress increases, it tends to reduce magnesium levels in your body.
This kind of relationship between your mood and magnesium leaves many facing physiological stress.
Now, you might be wondering how magnesium can regulate stress and soothe you? Magnesium is an essential nutrient that controls the release of cortisol, a stress hormone, and helps lift your mood.
Many try to figure out the cause of their always being under stress. Magnesium could be the simple answer for that.
3. Release stiffness with Epsom salt bath
Many of us have either experienced or are currently experiencing stiffness and tightness in muscles. Magnesium is an inexpensive cure for that muscle tension.
How can magnesium cure it? Magnesium deficiency leads to stiffness in muscles and the occurrence of cramps way too often.
Try to add magnesium-rich food to your diet to overcome cramps, and staying hydrated is also a key for strong muscles. To keep your muscles strong, maintain a good level of calcium and magnesium in your body.
4. Magnesium Deficiency and Aging an Unexpected Relation
A recent study shows that cells can replicate a certain number of times, and then these cells lose their ability to divide. This is called replicative senescence is responsible for the aging process at the organism level.
In research, it is found that people with low magnesium levels succumb more to age-related issues and aging itself.
It is preferred to intake a healthier diet to keep age effects at bay, which could be easily achieved by adding a high magnesium diet to your meals.
5. Magnesium is an Anti-inflammatory Substance
A study shows that low levels of magnesium can induce inflammation in the body. It happens as magnesium deficiency is a big contributor to low-grade inflammation. It also contributes to diabetes and hypertension. This creates a risky condition for your heart as well.
6. Epsom salt has Anti-fungal Properties
Epsom salt is known to reduce inflammation and increase blood flow. You should soak your feet to get rid of that pain and also treat many fungal infections. Apart from fungal infections, it also treats athletes’ feet.
Soaking your foot in Epsom salt-induced water also helps in removing bacteria and cleans your foot. Most of the bacteria find it difficult to survive in a salty environment. That is why adding soaking foot in Epsom salt water also provides a natural cleaning effect.
7. Use Epsom salt as an Exfoliator
Epsom salt helps in removing dead cells build-up. You can use Epsom salt as a scrub for your face and your whole body.
Using Epsom salt as an exfoliator soothes your skin and won’t make your skin dry. Apart from this, it removes dead skin build-up and gives you shiny skin.
8. Epsom salt aids Heart health
Epsom salt is good for your heart. It makes your heart arteries strong and also keeps clotting at bay. It treats certain cardiac arrhythmias. It means it helps in maintaining an ideal heartbeat.
9. Epsom salt Helps in Maintaining Insulin Levels in your Body
Epsom salt bath benefits you by producing more insulin and keeping your diabetes in check. It especially works well in type II diabetes, where the body becomes deficient in magnesium. Epsom salt works as a supplement in type II diabetes.
In short, Epsom salt helps in lowering blood sugar levels in your body. If you still doubt whether you can use Epsom salt or not, check this out to get more insights on it.
10. Epsom salt Helps you get Better Sleep
You would be surprised to know that low magnesium levels in your body can affect your sleep quality. Epsom salt bath makes your skin absorb magnesium and can help you get sound sleep by releasing stress.
11. Bathing in Epsom salt Improves your Skin Hydration
A study found that bathing in Epsom salt improves skin barrier functioning, and the skin feels more moisturized. Some skin allergies like skin redness and roughness are reduced with Epsom salt bath. It means you can improve your skin and hydration levels by soaking in an Epsom salt bath.
12. Epsom salt is Perfect for a Post-workout Session
If you are looking for some muscle relaxation and want to treat muscle soreness, Epsom salt is perfect for adding to your post-workout session bath. Its anti-inflammatory properties will ease those muscle soreness built during your workout sessions.
13. Epsom salt Bath to Detoxify your Body
One of the Epsom salt bath benefits is that it helps your skin detoxify by flushing out toxins from your skin simply by soaking yourself in a bathtub with Epsom salt.
The sulfates present in Epsom salt get absorbed by your skin and improve skin texture, eventually easing out joint pains that will give you quick relief and feel more relaxed.
Does Epsom Salt Bath Works?
When Epsom salt bath benefits are talked about in the town, does it works? Yes, Magnesium is the fourth essential mineral requirement of your body.
One of the Epsom salt benefits is that it is great for your feet. It can even ease the pain of an athlete’s foot, nail fungus, and even bruises if used regularly.
Epsom salt helps in better circulation of blood by going deep into your foot skin. It reduces cramps by improving circulation.
If you have been dealing with pain for a long time, try adding an Epsom salt bath to your daily regime. Try to remain soaked in an Epsom salt bath for at least 35-40 minutes. It will help you to get free from toxins, and your body can absorb nutrients also. For an Epsom salt bath, you need just 1-2 cups of Epsom salt and let it dissolve completely in water.
What do You need For Epsom Salt Bath?
Once you know the Epsom salt bath benefits, you must be willing to dive into it. But before diving, you must know how to prepare for it.
What do you require?
- Prepare your bathtub with water that must be easy to touch. It should not be hot.
- Add Epsom salt to it and let it dissolve.
- Now stay in this for the next 12-15 minutes minimum to relax and relieve pains.
- You should consult your doctor or physician before you are all ready to take up this Epsom salt bath.
NOTE: Read instructions given on the Epsom salt pack and discuss it with your physician before you begin to use it.
1. How To Use Epsom Salt For Foot Pain
You are now aware of Epsom salt bath benefits, but sometimes you might not wish to have a bath. You can simply enjoy this inexpensive and easy to arrange foot spa at home.
Epsom salt relaxes feet muscles and eases out pain. It also benefits you in ingrown nail pain. To have a relaxing foot session at home, you need:
- Fill the bathtub with warm water to the level where your foot soaks in completely.
- If you have pain in your legs, you can add more water so that your legs can also get soaked in water easily.
- Add 1/2 cup of Epsom salt to the water.
- Now, you can soak your feet for approximately 40-60 minutes.
- You can decrease time as per your convenience and your condition. But don’t exceed time; instead, you can use this twice a week.
2. How to Use Epsom Salt For Stiff Muscles
To relax sore muscles, you just need to follow a few steps,
- Take 1 cup Epsom salt and add it to the water.
- Let Epsom salt mix well, and then you can soak your body to relax your muscles and have a great sleep.
- You can also add a few drops of essential oils like 1-2 drops of lavender oil and 5-6 drops of peppermint oil.
- Peppermint oil will help in relaxing muscles.
- Using essential oil adds aroma to your bathtub and, these oils have many benefits to add to your skin and tighten muscles.
3. How to use Epsom salt as an Exfoliator
Epsom salt could be a great exfoliator that won’t leave your skin dry. For this, you need:
- Take Epsom salt almost half cup.
- Use some oils to nourish your skin. You can take half a cup of coconut oil or almond oil.
- Mix ingredients well and gently massage this mixture on your arms and legs.
- Don’t be harsh while exfoliating; use soft movements to exfoliate.
This is a great option if you are looking for something that won’t leave your skin dehydrated.
4. How to prepare detox Epsom salt bath
To make a detox Epsom salt bath recipe, you just need:
- To fill your bathtub with warm water.
- Add 1/4 cup of Epsom salt, 1/4 cup of sea salt, and 1/4 cup of baking soda.
- Add 10-12 drops of lavender oil or add peppermint oil.
Is Epsom Salt Bath Safe For Everyone?
This bitter taste salt, which is entirely another compound than your common salt, has numerous benefits. But as you all know, before binging on this, you must also be aware of its side effects that can surface if safety is not considered during use.
- If you plan to use Epsom salt as a laxative, consult your physician for dosage as overdose can cause diarrhea.
- Magnesium overdose can also cause nausea and headache.
- If high blood pressure bothers you, Epsom salt bath is good but be cautious as you are already on medicines, your blood pressure could go dangerously low.
- Consult your doctor if you already have low blood pressure and if you are on medicines.
Epsom salt bath benefits -Takeaways
Epsom salt bath benefits don’t confine to cleanliness but, it gives you more than that. It helps to retain moisture and, hence your skin won’t feel dried out.
The combination of Magnesium and sulfate in Epsom salt is also known to maintain a balanced level of electrolytes in your body. This keeps your muscles and nerves well functioning.
Before adding a magnesium supplement to your diet, it is better to consult a physician to avoid any side effects.
If you like this piece and want to read more, click here to read on more interesting topics.
Any information found on the site does not constitute legal or medical advice. Should you face health issues, please visit your doctor to get yourself diagnosed. Icy Health offers expert opinions and advice for informational purposes only. This is not a substitute for professional medical advice.