This article will explore some of the best journals prompts for Self-retrospection. Writing journals has been an old and common practice among various civilizations.
What is it, how does it benefit you? and what are some ideas for you to write journal prompts? In this article, we will answer all your questions.
If I ask you your likes, dislikes, passions, weaknesses, and other trivial matters, you will answer me in an auto-pilot mode. Without thinking too much or nothing at all.
But who are you? What do you like and dislike? The strange thing is, there is a high chance that you know others more than you know about yourself. That is some high level of negligence, and we need to set it right. Time and responsibilities are distancing us from ourselves.
Social Media has given us enough space to write about our thoughts and feelings. But, there is so much left inside us waiting to unveil. Writing on Journal Prompts helps us in the same.
I am sure you have had some great experiences and some bad ones too. What do you remember when you think of these experiences? The pain and pleasure?
There is no point in having failures and successes without learning from them. This arises a need for self-retrospection. Journalising helps us in that aspect too!
1. What is Self-Retrospection? Why is it Important?
Self-Retrospection means looking back into one’s past and analyzing it. It’s a significant practice because of manifold benefits-
It helps us in self-awareness. Self-awareness improves our creativity and critical thinking, and it also makes us more empathetic.
It facilitates a better understanding of your needs, thoughts, feelings, past, and more.
Personal & Spiritual Growth
We unconsciously sail through our experiences without analyzing or learning from them. Self-retrospection makes us conscious, which eventually leads to personal and spiritual growth.
Long things short, self-retrospection is a great habit for your life and growth.
Journaling can help us in this journey of self-retrospection we are about to step on. When you write without the fear of being judged, you let out your inner thoughts to the paper. Writing a journal helps us in understanding ourselves. Later in the post, you will find some journal prompts you can try.
2. Benefits of Writing Journal Prompt
Helps in Retrospection
Journaling is a stop and rest point in your fast-paced life. It helps you take a break, contemplate, and learn from your past.
Helps in Clearing Your Mind
Sometimes there is more than enough in your mind. Writing a journal helps in clearing your mind.
Creativity is something that we require in every field of life. Writing a journal prompts one of the best ways to boost creativity.
Improves Mental Health
Many of us are dealing with stress and anxiety. Journalising is famous for relieving stress and calming our minds.
Helps in Organizing Your Thoughts
Improves Your Writing
Good news, if you are concerned about brushing up your writing skills. It helps in enhancing your skill of writing as well.
Now that we have learned the immense benefits of journal writing, the only thing stopping you from starting a journal is a lack of ideas. Let us look at ideas to write journal prompts. In this blog post, we will focus on journal prompts for retrospection.
3. 12 Journal Prompts For Retrospection
Here are some unique ideas for journal prompts you can try-
- What were my dreams?
- What still confuses me?
- What was my ideal day like?
- What did I enjoy the most?
- What was I scared of?
- What have I given up on?
- When did I last come out of my comfort zone?
- Write a letter to your younger self.
- If I could change 3 things from my past, I would…
- My first love was…
- 10 times I felt the happiest
- I felt most energized when…
4. How To Write Journal Entry?
- Choose a notebook. You can also write journals on electronic devices. But it’s always better with pen and paper. So, go and grab your to-be journal.
- Write Dates. If you want to keep a record of your thoughts, write the dates on the top.
- Choose any journal prompts available online or write about anything you have in your mind.
- Be Honest. Nobody is going to see it. Write what you feel and not what you want others to read. Write for yourself.
- You do not have to follow any strict word limit. A journal entry can be as long or as short as you want it to be.
- Protect it. Keep your journal safely in a place where nobody can find it. With privacy protected, you can be as honest as you want to be.
- You can add poems, quotes, dialogues, photos, or sketches to express yourself.
You can place the slips with the writing prompts in a jar. Each day, take out a slip from your journal jar and write about it. Journal Writing Prompts is a fun exercise, so write without putting too much pressure on yourself. In the last section, there are some tips for you to ace journal writing!
5. Tips for Writing Journal Prompts
- You can meditate before writing the journal to free your mind from distractions.
- All you need is a diary/ journal and pen/pencil for this fun exercise.
- Remind yourself. You can be you and pour all your heart out on this piece of paper. Often we feel scared to let out some of our thoughts. But it is going to be just between you and your journal, so be fearless.
- You can write journals daily, and you will feel better and organized. You will not even notice before it becomes a habit.
- Set yourself free, and write what comes to your mind after reading the journal prompts.
- Write without any judgment. Do not look out for grammatical mistakes or judge your thoughts. Just write.
Writing a journal can solve most of your problems. Not so many people write journals daily, but those who do, are acquainted with the vast benefits of the practice. I hope these journal prompts help you and that you enjoy the process of writing a journal entry. Happy writing!