Are you struggling with excess fat under your chin area? We understand you. Everybody is not perfect, they are beautiful with their imperfections. But yet, if getting a defined chin helps you love yourself more, then our article will be of great help to you.
Some at-home fat cell burning exercises or double chin reduction treatments will work wonders for you to get rid of a double chin, be it because of stubborn fat cells or poor posture. Get ready to flaunt your perfectly defined jawline with complete confidence.
Why do we Have a Double Chin?
The most common cause of a double chin is excess fat in one’s body. When a person gains weight, the fat cells are stored in the belly, thigh, arm, and chin areas.
Another cause of double chin is the loosening of the skin due to ageing. (Aging leads to saggy skin) While it doesn’t seem obvious, lousy posture, genetics, or facial structure can also cause a double chin in a person.
How to Get Rid of Double Chin
Getting rid of a double chin is quite easy now in this 21st era. We have a couple of natural ways how to get rid of the double chin at home and some other artificial procedures to get rid of the same. First, let us check out how to get rid of a double chin and get your dream jaw-line through natural facial exercises.
1. Naturally Through Exercises
If your double chin is caused by being overweight, these simple exercises can help you get rid of it quickly and in the comfort of your home.
Jaw Jut Exercise
• From the sitting position, move your head back, so your face is facing the ceiling.
• Push your lower jaw forward until you feel a stretch in the muscles.
• Hold it for a count of 10, then relax.
• Return to normal position and repeat for 15 to 20 minutes.
For this exercise, you would require a ball with a diameter of 9 to 10 inches.
• Place the ball under your chin and press your chin down on the ball. It will create compression on the cells and chin muscles.
• Hold it for 20 seconds.
• Repeat this 25 to 30 times daily.
• Tilt your head back to look towards the ceiling.
• Pucker your lips to stretch the skin under your chin and your jaw muscles.
• Hold it till a count of 15. Now relax.
• Bring the head back to the neutral position.
• Repeat 15 to 20 times daily.
Tongue Stretch Exercise
• From any position, look straight. Now, stretch out your tongue as much as you can.
• Try touching your nose with your tongue.
• Hold your tongue in that position for a count of 10.
• Relax and repeat 20 times.
Lower Jaw Jut Exercise
• Tilt your head backwards and look towards the ceiling.
• Turn your head to one side.
• Side your lower jaw forward until you feel a slight stretch.
• Hold for a count of 10, then relax.
• Repeat 25 times for both sides.
Neck Stretch Exercise
The neck stretch exercise is basically to loosen those neck muscles. In our mundane lifestyle, we rarely do physical activities which led our neck muscles to go stiff thus stretches are very helpful to make the neck muscles flexible.
• Move your head backwards to look at the ceiling.
• Slightly roll your tongue and touch the middle of the hard palate and soft palate with the tip of your tongue.
• Hold for a count of 15, then return to normal position.
• Repeat 20 times daily.
Chewing Gum Exercise
This is an easy way to lose chin fat and bingo, you will look cool too.
- In this exercise, you don’t precisely need chewing gum but pretend like you are chewing on something to keep your jaw and chin muscles in action.
- You are required to repeat it 20 times regularly.
Fish Face Exercise
We often do it for selfies; why not try for your double chin now?
- Make a fish Face and hold it for a count of 10.
- This exercise contracts the muscles near your cheekbone and chin.
- Relax and repeat 25 times daily.
2. Through Massages
If exercises are not your cup of tea, then let us check how to get rid of a double chin through massages. Massages are often very effective when it comes to structuring the facial muscles naturally.
• Under-the Chin Massage
Tilt your head backwards and place both of your thumbs on the chin. Drag the thumbs from the chin to the throat, then to the collarbones with some force.
Repeat for 5 minutes every day.
• Jawline Massage
- Keep your face straight and place your thumbs under the chin.
- Massage upwards in the jawline direction till your thumb reaches the bottom of your earlobe.
- Repeat for 3 to 5 minutes regularly.
• Massage with Gua Sha
- Apply some olive oil or facial oil to your neck and jaw area.
- Massage your jawline, then your lower jaw with the gua sha for 5 to 10 minutes.
3. By Following Diets
Here you have to learn some weight loss techniques. So how do we lose weight naturally? The first way was through exercise, and the second is through a healthy diet. We won’t suggest you any strict diet to shed off your weight gain, rather some simple diets will be advised for you. These are simple diets with a decent amount of food intake.
• Have an 8-hour break between your meals. It will restrict your calorie intake and give you effective results in a lesser amount of time. In this process, you can follow your weight loss routine without much problem.
• Decrease the intake of meat, poultry, and beef. They are high in fats and can result in a heavyweight gain if consumed regularly.
• Go vegan to cut off your recent weight gain. Avoid all animal-based food items, especially dairy, to see effective results. These food take more time to digest and have a lot of calories.
• In your weight loss journey, it is absolutely necessary to include veggies in your diet. Mix and match different vegetables each day and find a perfect recipe that suits your taste. Experiment with your salads.
• Say yes to fruits! We all know fruits are infused with minerals and vitamins. They are an essential part of a healthy diet, but they also help reduce weight.
• Say no to high on carb meals. We are not asking you to avoid them but to reduce the intake. Eating them once a week would do.
• Include nuts and protein bars in your healthy diet of snacks. No more chips and other junk food.
4. Through Surgical Procedure
How to get rid of a double chin in some rare cases where it cannot be reduced through exercises and diets? Here, Special surgical treatments from certified doctors can be taken into consideration.
Some of these procedures are:
1. Laser Lipolysis
It is a cosmetic surgery where the doctor uses a laser to remove smaller amounts of fat from specific parts of a person’s body.
In other techniques of Lipolysis, injections and radio waves are also used. However, laser Lipolysis is the most common and safest way to remove fat from your chin area.
Compared to other fat removal procedures, Lipolysis involves a lesser risk of infection. Also, the recovery rate is faster.
• Bruising or a feeling of discomfort in the treated area.
• Blood clotting may occur.
• Swelling, Pain, or some sort of discharge from the treated area.
• When the skin is not taken good care of afterwards the surgery, there are rare cases of infection.
If any of these side effects are noticed after 3 to 4 days of your surgery, we suggest you immediately book an appointment with your dermatologist.
This cosmetic surgery procedure includes injecting deoxycholic acid into the area where fat removal is performed. These injections melt down the fat cells and dissolve them in the body.
The dermatologist does up to six treatments to remove the neck fat. These injections are not painful, but doctors prefer using the numbing cream if the patient is susceptible.
Deoxycholic acid is proven to be safe to inject into a person’s body for a fat meltdown. These injections can also be used on the upper and lower abdomen, thighs, upper arm, saddlebags, and cellulite.
• Patient may feel nauseous.
• Swelling, Itching, and pain near the treated area.
• Redness and bruising on the skin.
• left scars.
• May lead to infection if aftercare is ignored.
• Leads to sensitivity in the treated area.
After taking any of these surgeries, you should take strict care of your diet and avoid using harsh chemical-based skincare on your skin. You can return to your normal lifestyle in a week or so.
Surgeries shall only be performed in extreme cases when all the other attempts fail.
Common Reasons for Double Chin
We have listed down some common causes of why we have that one extra chin under the jawline.
Let us check with the causes:
1. Extra Fat in your Body
When a body has excess fat double chin appears. You might not notice that you have gained extra pounds over a couple of days near your waist or stomach region, but suppose when you go for taking a selfie, you surprisingly find a double chin which indicates that you have extra fat in your body.
Thus, to shed off that unwanted double chin, first, we have to burn fat in our bodies. Double chin will disappear when you start losing weight.
2. You Start Ageing
Ageing is another common cause of having a double chin. In our mid-20s, the collagen level starts declining. When this happens, our skin loses natural elasticity and thus it starts sagging. So when the area under our jaw begins to sag down it creates the same effect as if we are carrying extra fats.
Apart from ageing, unhealthy lifestyles like smoking, poor diet and exposure to direct sunlight also lead to skin sagging. This can be avoided by following a good skincare routine and having a healthy lifestyle.
3. Poor Neck Posture
When we sit for working or studying or for doing any work, we rarely sit straight. We bend our necks forward to do the work more intently. This not only causes neck pain but also affects the platysma muscle. This muscle connects the neck and the chin.
When this muscle loosens with pressure, our jawline starts sagging giving an illusion of a double chin. For this, you can perform neck exercises to keep the platysma muscle intact.
4. The Natural Facial Structure
Some of the factors are not in our hands, this is the case when the natural facial structure is such that the double chin ought to happen. People who have recessive chins and weak jawlines develop a double chin.
These individuals have skin stretched over a small area. Thus a relatively low increase in fat and even a bit of elasticity in the facial muscle will give rise to a double chin.
5. Genetically have a Double Chin
If most of your family members have plumper chins, then you might too have one in the form of a double chin. This too can be get ridden through plastic surgeries. Or simply by having a check on self to lose weight through a healthy diet might also work to some extent.
But keep in mind that surgery is not always a safe option unless you do it from a reliable centre.
Home Remedies for Your Double Chin
Good News! We have some proven home remedies, which might help you in trimming your double chin.
With these home remedies, one will be very much benefitted and in no time they will get to flaunt their perfect jawline.
1. Wheat Germ Oil
Take some wheat germ oil and massage the oil under your chin for around 10 minutes and then leave it overnight.
Wheat germ oil is rich in ‘Vitamin E’ which helps in the process of skin tightening. Thus, when applied around the jaw will keep your skin tightened and reduce fatness around that area.
2. Egg White, Milk, Honey
Take one egg white, milk, and honey, with this make a paste and apply a thin layer it on the double chin area and leave it till it dries. Now wash it with plain water. This will help the skin to tighten up and will reduce the double chin.
3. Olive Oil
Warm a teaspoon of olive oil and gently massage it on the jaw and neck. Leave it overnight. This massage of olive oil will not only tighten the skin but will also reduce the fats under the chin.
4. Green Tea
Green tea works magically in promoting weight loss from all over the body. If drunk with a couple of jaw-lifting exercises, then it will help in shedding the extra fat under your jaw.
You are only required to add green tea in water and a spoon of honey and sip it.
5. Vitamin E Oil
Vitamin E Oil can be extracted from the Vitamin E Capsules. These Vitamin E Capsules can be easily found in any drugstore. Cut open a capsule and pour the Vitamin E Oil on your palm and thereby massage it on the jawline area this will prevent fine lines and sagginess. Massage the vitamin E capsule upwards, in this process, you will get rid of your double chin.
6. Healthy Diet
As already discussed, fat is the main cause of a double chin. So, eat a healthy diet to lose weight and eventually lose that extra fat on your jawline. For this more vegetables, fruits, whole grain cereals, and wheat are to be added. Junk foods, oily snacks, and processed foods are to be avoided.
Anyway, a quick reminder: You are perfect just the way you are.
Read more from us here.
1. How long does it take to get rid of the double chin?
Ans. It takes around 3 to 4 weeks to get rid of the double chin. Firstly, you need to be consistent with your exercise, diet, and facial massage then only you can get effective results.
2. I am slim, but why do I still have a double chin?
Ans. This may happen because of your genes. Your family must have carried the same gene which leads to having fat stored around the jawline area and thus you have a double chin.
3. Is double chin permanent to stay?
Ans. With consistent exercise, facial exercise, and maintenance of diet one can get rid of a double chin. Also, if you want to get rid of the fat immediately and permanently then you can opt for facial surgeries.