Share This Article
Are you struggling with excess fat under your chin area? We got you. Everybody is not perfect. We all are working to match up with society’s standards. If getting a defined chin helps you love yourself more, then our article on ‘how to get rid of double chin‘ can be of great help to you. Some at-home fat cell burning exercises or double chin reduction treatments will work wonders for you to get rid of a double chin, be it because of the stubborn fat cells or poor posture. Get ready to flaunt your perfectly defined jawline with complete confidence.
Causes Of Double Chin
The most common cause of double chin is excess fat in one’s body. When a person gains weight, the fat cells are stored in the belly, thigh, arm, and chin areas.
Another cause of double chin is loosening of the skin due to aging. (Aging leads to saggy skin) While it doesn’t seem obvious, lousy posture, genetics, or facial structure can also cause a double chin in a person.
How To Get Rid Of Double Chin
1. Naturally Through Exercises
If your double chin is caused by being overweight, these simple exercises can help you get rid of it quickly and with the comfort of your home.
1. Jaw Jut Exercise
• From the sitting position, move your head back, so your face is facing the ceiling.
• Push your lower jaw forward until you feel a stretch in the muscles.
• Hold it for a count of 10, then relax.
• Return to normal position and repeat 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Ball Exercise
For this exercise in our ‘how to get rid of double chin’ exercise sets, you would require a ball with a diameter of 9 to 10 inches.
• Place the ball under your chin and press your chin down on the ball. It will create compression on the cells and chin muscles.
• Hold it for 20 seconds.
• Repeat this 25 to 30 times daily.
3. Pucker Exercise
• Tilt your head back to look towards the ceiling.
• Pucker your lips to stretch the skin under your chin and your jaw muscles.
• Hold it till a count of 15. Now relax.
• Bring the head back to the neutral position.
• Repeat 15 to 20 times daily.
4. Tongue Stretch Exercise
• From any position, look straight. Now, stretch out your tongue as much as you can.
• Try touching your nose with your tongue.
• Hold your tongue in that position for a count of 10.
• Relax and repeat 20 times.
5. Lower Jaw Jut Exercise
• Tilt your head backward and look towards the ceiling.
• Turn your head to one side.
• Side your lower jaw forward until you feel a slight stretch.
• Hold for a count of 10, then relax.
• Repeat 25 times for both sides.
6. Neck Stretch Exercise
• Move your head backward to look at the ceiling.
• Slightly roll your tongue and touch the middle of the hard palate and soft palate with the tip of your tongue.
• Hold for a count of 15, then return to normal position.
• Repeat 20 times daily.
7. Chewing Gum Exercise
No, you don’t precisely need chewing gum to do this exercise. Pretend like you are chewing on something to keep your jaw and chin muscles in action.
This is an easy way to lose chin fat, and bingo, you will look cool too. Not necessarily, but chewing gums are in trend. Repeat for 20 times regularly.
8. Fish Face Exercise
One of the fun facial exercises to get a defined jawline is the Fish Face Exercise. We often do it for selfies; why not try for your double chin now.
Make a fish Face and hold it for a count of 10. This exercise contracts the muscles near your cheekbone and chin, giving you a perfect jawline when done regularly. Relax and repeat 25 times daily.
2. Through Massages
If exercises are not your cup of tea, massages will help you reduce that existing double chin.
• Under The Chin Massage
Tilt your head backward and place both of your thumbs on the chin. Drag the thumbs from the chin to the throat, then to the collarbones with some force.
Repeat for 5 minutes every day.
• Jawline Massage
Keep your face straight and place your thumbs under the chin. Massage upwards in the jawline direction till your thumb reaches the bottom of your earlobe.
Repeat for 3 to 5 minutes regularly.
• Massage With Gua Sha
Apply some olive oil or facial oil to your neck and jaw area. Massage your jawline, then your lower jaw with the gua sha for 5 to 10 minutes.
3. By Following Diets
How to get rid of a double chin if it is caused by weight gain? The first way was through exercise, and the second was through diets. We won’t suggest you any strict diet. These are simple diets with a decent amount of food intake.
• Have an 8-hour break between your meals. It will restrict your calorie intake and give you effective results in a lesser amount of time.
• Decrease the intake of meat, poultry, and beef. They are high in fats and can result in a heavyweight gain if consumed regularly.
• Go vegan. Avoid all animal-based food items, especially dairy, to see effective results. These food take more time to digest and have a lot of calories.
• Include veggies in your diet. Mix and match different vegetables each day and find a perfect recipe that suits your taste. Experiment with your salads.
• Say yes to fruits! We all know fruits are infused with minerals and vitamins. They are an essential part of a healthy diet, but they also help reduce weight.
• Say no to high on carb meals. We are not asking you to avoid them but to reduce the intake. Eating them once a week would do.
• Include nuts and protein bars in your snacks. No more chips and other junk food.
4. Through Surgical Procedure
How to get rid of double chin in some rare cases where it cannot be reduced through exercises and diets? Here, Special surgical treatments from certified doctors can be taken into consideration.
Some of these procedures are
1. Laser Lipolysis
It is a cosmetic surgery where the doctor uses a laser to remove smaller amounts of fat from specific parts of a person’s body.
In other techniques of Lipolysis, injections and radio waves are also used. However, laser Lipolysis is the most common and safest way to remove fat from your chin area.
Compared to other fat removal procedures, Lipolysis involves a lesser risk of infection. Also, the recovery rate is faster.
• Bruising or a feeling of discomfort in the treated area.
• Blood clotting may occur.
• Swelling, Pain, or some sort of discharge from the treated area.
• When the skin is not taken well care of afterward the surgery, there are rare cases of infection.
If any of these side effects are noticed after 3 to 4 days of your surgery, we suggest you immediately book an appointment with your dermatologist.
This cosmetic surgery procedure includes injecting deoxycholic acid into the area where fat removal is performed. These injections melt down the fat cells and dissolve them into the body.
The dermatologist does up to six treatments to remove the neck fat. These injections are not painful, but doctors prefer using the numbing cream if the patient is susceptible.
Deoxycholic acid is proven to be safe to inject into a person’s body for the fat meltdown. These injections can also be used on the upper and lower abdomen, thighs, upper arm, saddlebags, and cellulite.
• Patient may feel nauseous.
• Swelling, Itching, and pain near the treated area.
• Redness and bruising on the skin.
• Left scars.
• May lead to infection if aftercare is ignored.
• Leads to sensitivity in the treated area.
Though Mesotherapy is cheaper than Lipolysis, there are high chances of its failure. The suggestion is to consider a board-certified dermatologist.
After taking any of these surgeries, you should take strict care of your diet and avoid using harsh chemical-based skincare on your skin. You can return to your normal lifestyle in a week or so.
Surgeries shall only be performed in extreme cases when all the other attempts fail. We all know the importance of appearance in today’s lives.
Before considering any of the diets and exercises in our how to get rid of double chin article, we suggest you visit a certified gym trainer or a dermatologist for better assistance.
A quick reminder: You are perfect just the way you are.
Read more from us here.