The sting by a bee or wasp is usually recognized by a sharp pain along with a puncture wound or laceration in the skin. About 3% of people stung by bees and wasps have an allergic reaction to the sting, while up to 0.8% of victims experience severe and life-threatening allergic reactions.
Bees and wasps, along with fire ants, belong to the Hymenoptera order. There are over 25,000 species of wasps found all around the world.
- The yellow jackets have black and yellow stripes on the abdomen and from underground nests.
- The yellow jacket and hornet. Both of them live in groups or colonies and dwell in temperate climates.
- Hornets are predominantly black with some yellow markings on the head and thorax. These hornets form paper-like nests that are attached to bushes, trees, or buildings.
1. Honeybee Stings
Honeybee stings are the most familiar sting, but some wasps and other insects can also sting, the yellow jacket wasps being the most common. They may cause allergic reactions.
A bee’s stinging apparatus consists of a venom sac attached to a barbed stinger. These barbed stingers tear off when the bee tries to fly away after stinging. So these bees die after the sting and therefore can sting only one time.
When a bee stings, it leaves behind a venomous toxin called apitoxin that causes pain and other symptoms. Apitoxin is a colorless liquid composed primarily of proteins. A honey bee can inject about 0.1mg of venom. Most adults, barring those with allergic reactions, can safely withstand 10 stings per pound of body weight.
2. Wasp Stings
The wasp is similar but with a smooth stinger and can easily withdraw its stinger from the victim’s skin. Wasps are narrower than bees with pointed lower abdomens. They are carnivorous and tend to be more aggressive. The stinger delivers venom into the victim’s bloodstream.
Peptides and enzymes in the venom breakdown the cell membranes. Norepinephrine present in venom stops the flow of blood.
When a bee or wasp stings, the venom sac contracts, and it pumps venom into the tissue. Sting by a bee or a wasp can cause significant reactions ranging from localized pain and swelling to serious and even fatal conditions.
In the US, at least 90 to 100 deaths occur each year due to serious anaphylactic sting reactions. Treating a bee or wasp sting depends on its severity.
A normal bee or wasp sting may cause the following symptoms, referred to as a normal local reaction:
• The area around the sting may form a swollen red mark that can be itchy and painful.
• There will be an instant pain at the sting site that is usually sharp, burning, and often lasts for a few seconds.
• The swollen and red hives or welts may peak at around 48 hours after the sting and can last for up to one week.
A bee or wasp sting may produce the following symptoms, referred to as a large local reaction:
• There can be swelling of an entire extremity or limbs, which might last for a few days.
• It can cause extreme redness and swelling, which can widen up to 12 inches across.
• Sometimes, there can be swelling and pain in the joints, which appear after several days.
• In case of multiple stings, there may be a rash, fever, headache, and nausea.
• Multiple stings can be fatal for children.
• Severe allergic reactions to stings are known as anaphylactic reactions, and they can be life-threatening. Symptoms that may signal anaphylaxis include nausea, vomiting or diarrhea, stomach cramps, a sudden drop in blood pressure or weak pulse, dizziness or feeling faint, anxiety or agitation, fast heart rate, breathing difficulty.
On being stung by a bee or wasp, one is advised to try to stay still and avoid rubbing the area around the sting as it can increase the spread of venom across the bloodstream. An ice pack may reduce the swelling and irritation of the sting.
Doctors advise taking antihistamines to reduce the swelling and itching. It works quickly like chlorphenamine or acrivastine. Hydrocortisone cream helps in reducing the irritation caused by the sting. If there is any pain associated with the bite, painkillers such as Ibuprofen can be used.
Bee and Wasp Stings Mustard Applied topically: Home Treatment Using Mustard.
When we think of mustard, the image of grills, hamburgers, and hot dogs comes to our minds. Mustard is one of the thinnest and smallest seeds in the world to which God has given healing powers on bee and wasp stings mustard applied topically to cure a person of pain.
Mustard is a natural product and has been used in the Ayurveda for centuries. It is believed that mustard was first cultivated in India around 3000 BC and is used to cure many diseases and sicknesses.
It relieves psoriasis symptoms, gives relief from contact dermatitis, improves cardiovascular health, relieves respiratory disorders, treats acne and pain, acts as a poison repulsion, and protects against bacterial and fungal infection, helps manage diabetes, has the cholesterol-lowering ability, relieves menopausal symptoms, etc.
On bee and wasp stings, mustard is applied topically as it is rich in antioxidants and promotes healing faster. It has a good amount of selenium, which makes it a fine anti-inflammatory agent.
On bee and wasp stings, mustard is applied topically to relieve the swelling and pain brought by a bee or wasp sting. It has properties that are known for soothing skin irritations. On bee and wasp stings, mustard is applied topically and has been used since ancient times to treat bee stings and other insect bites.
You may also check out 8 Best Essential Oils for Spider Bites to know about other insects’ treatment.
Bee and Wasp Stings Mustard Applied Topically: What You Need
• Mustard Seeds
Directions To Use:
- Take the mustard seeds and grind them into a fine powder.
- Now mix the mustard seed powder using water.
- Spread the paste on to the sting area.
- Now wrap it with a cloth so that the poultice remains on your skin for a longer time.
(Try this remedy thrice a day for best results)
- For instant relief, you can also sprinkle some mustard powder over the bee sting.
Any information found on the site does not constitute legal or medical advice. Should you face health issues, please visit your doctor to get yourself diagnosed. Icy Health offers expert opinions and advice for informational purposes only. This is not a substitute for professional medical advice.