An eating disorder is intricate mental health and behavioral condition that happens when the person starts to think distressing thoughts about their diet and encounters extreme disturbances in their eating behavior. Eating disorders start when they have low self-esteem and don’t feel like fitting in their own body and skin. The eating disorder quotes mentioned below will give you a little glimpse of when the individual doesn’t like to breathe in their own skin.
It is a serious issue with many health and mental repercussions like kidney failure, heart problems, anxiety, and depression. It can lead an individual to a death bed, the worst consequence of this condition.
There are several types of eating disorders like anorexia nervosa, binge eating disorder, ARFID, etc. Either the person stifles themselves by eating a lot or starves themselves by not eating at all.
Weight stigma, bullying, mental illness, and abuse can be the cardinal causes of eating disorders among children, teenagers, or young adults. Eating disorders like anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa are common in women, but they can affect anyone, irrespective of gender and age.
Starving oneself and leading the body through torments is not the right way. There is not a single easier day in one’s time when one faces this condition. These inspiring quotes related to eating disorders and eating disorder recovery will help you to some extent and make you understand that your body is your greatest possession.
Women coping with eating disorders have shared their thoughts as quotes-how they felt when they felt it hard to live in their own bodies, then how they made a recovery and are living their days right now. Take inspiration from these quotes.
Eating Disorder Quotes For You
1. “Enjoy your body; use it every way you can. Don’t be afraid of it or what other people think of it; it’s the greatest instrument you’ll ever own.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Shaping ourselves the way society wants is not right. We are not here to please the eyes of others but ourselves. We are here to please our mental health and own body.
Stop focusing on the harsh words that people hiss at you. Live inside your body proudly, like it is the greatest asset you can ever acquire. Self-love is the first step to physical and mental recovery.
2. “You have to make peace with food. You have to learn and program your brain to understand: your body needs food.” – Callie Bowld
Rebuffing the food when your body needs it is one of the major mistakes a human ever makes.
Nourish your body from time to time, whenever needed. Have a healthy and satisfactory diet, eat three times a day properly, and control your weight and life.
3. “Get off the scale! I have yet to see a scale that can tell you how enchanting your eyes are. I have yet to see a scale that can show you how wonderful your hair looks when the sun shines its glorious rays on it. I have yet to see a scale that can thank you for your compassion, sense of humour, and contagious smile. Get off the scale because I have yet to see one that can admire you for your perseverance when challenged in life.” – Steve Maraboli
If you want to gain weight, you should gain it; if you want to lose weight, you should lose it. But it would be best if you didn’t let others control the shape of your mind or your body.
The shape of the body has never elucidated a human being; rather, the inner beauty has. The perspective of the world might change, but the truth always remains pristine and unmarred.
4. “You are not a mistake. You are not a problem to be solved. But you won’t discover this until you are willing to stop banging your head against the wall of shaming and caging and fearing yourself.” – Geneen Roth
No one born in this world is a mistake. A plate full of food or a bunch of people can never judge your worth. It would be best if you learned to accept it, and when you accept yourself for who you are, the sharp words of the people will not matter anymore.
Stop hating and judging yourself through the eyes of the mean and know your self-worth. These inspiring quotes will help you know yourself better, what you are truly capable of.
5. “I am forever engaged in a silent battle in my head over whether or not to lift the fork to my mouth, and when I talk myself into doing so, I taste only shame. I have an eating disorder.” – Jena Morrow
Fighting with the food on your plate can make you sick, not only physically but also mentally. These eating disorder quotes by the women who once had anorexia but now have recovered in their lives and are back to reality impart only one thing: that we shouldn’t live in agitation.
6. “I am angry that I starved my brain and that I sat shivering in my bed at night instead of dancing or reading poetry or eating ice cream or kissing a boy…” – Laurie Halse Anderson
When you needed to enjoy your days, you shut yourself out from the world and starved yourself to death. You gave the control to the hands of the people when it should be in your hands.
Get a grip on the control, live your life to the fullest, recover with time, and don’t let your self-esteem degrade.
7. “Keep these concepts in mind: You’ve failed many times, although you don’t remember. You fell the first time you tried to walk. You almost drowned the first time you tried to swim. Don’t worry about failure. My suggestion to each of you: Worry about the chances you miss when you don’t even try.” – Sherman Finesilver
The people who stay back due to the fear of facing failure are the real failures.
Don’t fear taking chances. Have faith in your progress. They say the beginning is half done, then why shouldn’t you try? Focus on the present moment, forget the hard past. Life is all about living in a given moment.
8. “The end of an eating disorder begins with THE DECISION TO STOP.” – Callie Bowld
This eating disorder recovery quotes is no hard to understand. Only small steps can lead to a good and healthy lifestyle. Eat well, have a good diet.
You shouldn’t struggle with your body to please the eyes of society and the rest of the world. The only way of recovering is when you set these words in your mind and take up the condition as a challenge.
9. “Beauty is about living your life, and being happy with yourself inside out, and not worrying about what people think of you.” – Unknown
This eating disorder recovery quote is self-explanatory. Small steps upward through the staircase of happiness can lead you to the point when you will stop hating your body.
Happiness comes when you accept yourself and are not ashamed of breathing in your skin. The other side, the side full of positivity, is beautiful and is waiting for you.
10. “Recovery is full of ups and downs. There is no such thing as a linear life. But you can always turn your setbacks into setups to come back stronger.” – Brittany Burgunder
Eating disorders are not a lifestyle choice. Recovery can be a hard process, and it takes a lot of courage, but your worst days of recovery can be better than the best days in relapse.
It is necessary for one to love their body inside out. Self-acceptance is the most important thing. Tackle the adversity strongly and always get up every time you fall back.
These were some of the eating disorder quotes that might help you or someone else recover who is going through a hard time and needs support.
Eating disorder is not a matter to be left unbridled. It is a serious medical and psychological issue that can bring many consequences when not heeded to. If you are or someone you know is struggling with eating disorders, reach out for advice and inspiration from your family members and significant others, or there are many resources and materials on the internet that can help you in the process of recovery.
A quality talk with your close ones or those who have suffered in the past but are thriving right now can do a magic cure, or some yoga postures, meditation, and breathing exercises can help you cope and shape up.
A good commitment is needed if you really want to come out of the situation. You are and can be your biggest help, much more than any therapy or treatment, during this period. As the saying goes, self-help is the best help one can get.
When there is a chance to seek help from someone, do not delay in seeking assistance. You may go through a tough time, a time when everything feels bleak and unpropitious, and you may think nothing can be put back together as you see everything crumbling down before your eyes. But it would be best if you saw the brighter side of living, the real-life that starts after you overcome your fear and disorder.
Share this article with your family and friends and spread the word.
Any information found on the site does not constitute legal or medical advice. Should you face health issues, please visit your doctor to get yourself diagnosed. Icy Health offers expert opinions and advice for informational purposes only. This is not a substitute for professional medical advice.