To evoke you with the ruling aspect of self-care, we have listed 11 self-compassion quotes.
Compassion is the art of understanding a person when they are going through distressing times and offering love, kindness, and acceptance to them at that moment. When you genuinely love and care for someone, you cannot unsee and leave them when they suffer, but their situation will inspire you to help them out of it.
Compassion is just like medicine which has the ultimate power to heal any negative emotions, and redirecting compassion to the self from time to time escalates the power of healing.
What Is Self-Compassion, And Why Is It Important?
Self-compassion is simply the act of showing empathy, love, and concern to the self during dreadful times.
When we make mistakes, we should forgive ourselves for them. When we are feeling worst, instead of judging ourselves for feeling like that, we should find and value the root cause of feeling low and then give joy to the self by understanding.
But we often forget to treat ourselves with love and kindness from time to time, especially at times when we are going through a lot of pain.
Self-compassion and self-acceptance are important because if we do not learn to accept our weaknesses, we might not achieve emotional well-being. However, it is one of the major challenges that an individual faces; we need to learn and have the courage to face it as self-care also means self-compassion.
Unless you don’t feel comfortable in your skin, you won’t be able to take care of yourself anyway. Criticizing ourselves for our mistakes and failures is a human tendency. Still, we shouldn’t be harsh on ourselves because if we don’t learn to accept ourselves, we won’t be able to free ourselves from the cages of anxiety of being perfect all the time and get peace.
These self-compassion quotes teach you to accept and embrace yourself whenever your life is having a down moment. The quotes will inspire a deeper sense of self-acceptance and peace.
Self-Compassion Quotes For You
1. “If you don’t love yourself, you cannot love others. You will not be able to love others. If you have no compassion for yourself, then you are not able of developing compassion for others” – Dalai Lama
We have always been apprehended that if we cannot love ourselves, we cannot love another person. It is outrightly true, and Dalai Lama has quoted the same spiritual words to inspire us with the art of self-compassion.
The first step of having a good relationship with another individual is to have a good relationship with the self. Self-care and self-love is the most important thing in one’s life. When you learn to love and take care of yourself, you will show compassion toward others.
2. “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.” – Buddha
These are some wise words by Buddha about self-love and self-compassion. Not only for others, but you need compassion directing inward from time to time.
One shouldn’t forget to place oneself over anyone else in the world. No matter how important places other people hold in your life, you hold the highest position in your priority list of life.
When you learn to give yourself the right amount of love and affection, you will eventually learn to treat people compassionately.
3. “This is a moment of suffering. Suffering is part of life. May I be kind to myself in this moment. May I give myself the compassion I need.” – Kristin Neff
Suffering is a crucial part of our life. Facing it only, we can move forward, succeed and learn. But that does not mean you will leave your feelings at bay and won’t show self-compassion when you need it the most in the world.
Let your feelings talk to you. Listen to them and then ask yourself if you are being too much harsh on yourself or not. Give some joy to self by treating with love and kindness. Acceptance is the principal.
4. “When I understand my suffering, I love myself, and I know how not to keep nourishing the suffering, how to transform the suffering. I get lighter, I become more compassionate, and with that kind of freedom and compassion, I feel liberated.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
These self-compassion quotes will inspire and remind you to show kindness and love when going through a hard time.
Self-compassion will free you from burdens that might be there on your shoulders of shame, embarrassment, failures, and mistakes. When you are free from the chains, you will attain tranquillity.
5. ” Self-compassion is like a muscle. The more we practice flexing it, especially when life doesn’t go exactly according to plan (a frequent scenario for most of us), the stronger and more resilient our compassion muscle becomes.” – Sharon Salzberg
Like you show compassion toward others that heals them and brings peace to you, show yourself a little compassion every time you feel low as you need it much as anybody in the entire universe.
Healing is exponential when there is compassion, and practicing self-compassion has the power to heal all of our wounds. Learning to be compassionate yourself will inspire you to see yourself with a different mindset.
6. “If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete.” – Jack Kornfield
Self-compassion doesn’t make you self-indulgent or selfish; rather, it helps you grow and heal internally and feel better.
Learn to love yourself first, and then only you will learn how to love others. When we practice compassion and acceptance of self, we find the missing puzzle piece of self-care. These self-compassion quotes will inspire to show love and kindness to self whenever the soul needs it.
7. ” To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting.” – E.E. Cummings
One shall never mold themselves the way the world wants. Make and walk in your path and show compassion to the self. That is the most important aspect.
Self-compassion quotes never fail to inspire people and teach them to be their real selves.
8. “Compassion isn’t some kind of self-improvement project or ideal that we’re trying to live up to. Having compassion starts and ends with having compassion for all those unwanted parts of ourselves, all those imperfections that we don’t even want to look at.” – Pema Chodron
The quotes of Pema Chodron are very effective and helpful if looked up to and practiced.
One needs the courage to accept the unwanted parts of self. Learn to accept your flaws, and you shall heal tremendously. All self-compassion quotes aim to inspire us and build the courage to notice our feelings during extreme pain.
9. “Self-compassion is simply giving the same kindness to ourselves that we would give to others.” – Christopher Germer
This self-compassion quote is self-defining. Often, it becomes harder for us to show compassion to ourselves than we show toward others. Still, self-compassion is needed as personal healing starts only by self-compassion and acceptance.
Accept all of you while keeping these self-compassion quotes in your mind and see the magic that happens.
10. “Remember, you have been criticizing yourself for years, and it hasn’t worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens.” – Louise L. Hay
Learn to embrace yourself and accept all of the flaws that you are made up of. Learn to forgive yourself from time to time for all the past mistakes and happenings.
Criticizing self can never lead us anywhere. Rather have a good relationship with yourself and value the person you have become after all the past. These words of Louise Hay will be helpful if you keep them in mind and act accordingly.
11. ” Self-compassion is critical in accountability. We often overcorrect by shaming and blaming ourselves or undercorrect by avoiding ways to face accountability directly. Using self-compassion does not mean letting yourself off the hook for missteps but owning them and still holding space to love yourself. Adding compassion to accountability processes decreases shame and isolation and increases growth and connection.” – Gina Senarighi
This quote from our collection of self-compassion quotes is not hard to understand.
When you make mistakes, you must correct yourself so that you won’t repeat the same in the future. But that does not mean that you should be harsh on yourself and feel ashamed for committing mistakes and facing failures.
Grow inwards as you show some compassion to the self and point the mistakes and correct them.
These were some of the self-compassion quotes by great authors, leaders, or poets who have practiced the art of self-compassion and have seen changes in their lives, and now they are trying to inspire people to practice self-compassion with the help of their quotes and teachings.
Reading posts about self-compassion, self-care, and self-acceptance across the internet might enlighten you and make you understand the importance of self-compassion in an individual’s life. It can help us in palliating mental health issues such as stress, anxiety, and insecurity. Also, it elevates the levels of happiness and contentment.
Always remember that you are worthy of self-acceptance and love as compassion starts and ends with having compassion. The above quotes will inspire and remind you to value and give joy to the self.
Any information found on the site does not constitute legal or medical advice. Should you face health issues, please visit your doctor to get yourself diagnosed. Icy Health offers expert opinions and advice for informational purposes only. This is not a substitute for professional medical advice.