Sea moss has become a topic of discussion for health and fitness enthusiasts as it has tons of benefits. However, it has side effects too. If you don’t know what are the side effects of sea moss, you should not add it to your diet. It is very important to be aware of sea moss side effects before consuming it.
Every healthcare provider recommends their patients take sea moss along with their other food products. They advocate for adding sea moss because of its numerous benefits and the presence of active ingredients. At the same time, sea moss may have adverse effects, which can be dangerous for health as the body will not accept an overdose of any substance.
We have listed below some benefits of sea moss and some sea moss side effects.
What Is Sea Moss?
Sea moss is commonly known as red algae, and its scientific name is Chondrus crispus. It is a kind of algae or you can call it red seaweed. Sea moss is also called Irish sea moss. Sea moss is a sea vegetable that is edible. Eating sea moss is similar to leafy sea vegetables like kelp or dulse.
Sea moss is found in a variety of shades, such as green, yellow, purple, red, brown, and black. One can find sea moss in tide pools and inlets. The gelatinous carbohydrate( the extracted carrageenan) is commonly used in baked goods and cosmetics.
The Benefits Of Irish Sea Moss
Sea moss benefits, adds nutritional value to the human body, and improves health. Although sea moss has health benefits, people still have so many doubts and questions regarding its use. It is found that sea moss detox the side effects of toxins and other wastes in your body.
Some of the frequently asked questions regarding the side effects of sea moss are:
- Does sea moss make you tired?
- Does sea moss make you poop?
- Is raw sea moss good to consume?
Read it till the end to get the answer to such questions.
Here is a list of some top health benefits of Irish Moss.
- Raw Irish sea moss is rich in nutrition, and it restores your energy.
- Sea moss has polysaccharides that act as soluble fiber and thus are responsible for the loss of weight.
- Sea moss will boost your immune system. Sea moss also contains supplements called prebiotics which are also said to aid digestion.
- It is also used for skin nourishment. Sea moss contains high sulfur, which has beneficial bacteria, and antiviral and antimicrobial functions. Therefore it is considered to have healthy bacteria which balance the skin microbiome.
- Irish Moss is widely used for treatment purposes. It helps you fight back against thyroid gland inflammation due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Taking sea moss in your food will also reduce your everyday skin aging. Because of its gel form, sea moss can also be used for thickening soups, stews, and drinks.
- About 12 percent of women aged 15-44 have trouble getting or staying pregnant in the United States. The Irish sea moss is a powerhouse that can speed up the process of getting or staying pregnant.Sea moss has iodine, Vitamin B, calcium, and zinc, which in normal levels help a woman in her pregnancy period.
- Irish sea moss is a mucilaginous food that helps to soothe your gut microbiota and gut microbiome and helps stool move from the gastrointestinal tract easily.
- Sea moss contains too much iodine and potassium iodide, which is beneficial for thyroid health and proper thyroid function.
- Some people cannot have foods rich in iodine, zinc, and amino acids because they are allergic to that food. So they can easily consume sea moss and do not have to look for alternative medicine to fulfill the nutrients in their body.
Side Effects Of Sea Moss
If you are unaware of the side effects of sea moss and include it in your food menu and continue for a few days, it might make you feel sick, and then you will regret it later. So, it will be good to know the side effects of sea moss before getting into any trouble.
Without the knowledge of the negative effects of sea moss, it is not good to consume it.
No scientific evidence is available to date that tells the exact safe dosage of sea moss gel, sea moss powder, or pills that keep your body healthy. In some people, sea moss supplement side effects have also been observed. Hence it is important to be aware of sea moss side effects.
Here are some points listed below for informational purposes. This list will be helpful for you to understand sea moss’s negative effects.
1. Side Effects Of Too Much Iodine Content
Adding too much iodine to your diet can lead to goiter and even thyroid disorders. These issues may even require surgery to resolve. It may also degrade your gut health.
2. Side Effects Of Sea Moss Pills In Pregnant Women
Consuming sea moss pills in excess has severe side effects for pregnant women or breastfeeding mothers. No research has found how it interacts with a fetus or newborn infant. But it has been found that sea moss side affects the newly born child.
Although according to professional medical advice, pregnant women should take 1-2 tablespoons per day, adding around 4 to 8 grams of sea moss to their diet.
3. Side Effects Of Sea Moss On Thyroid Hormones
If you are already taking medication for your thyroid hormones, including iodine, then you have to stop taking sea moss. Red seaweed has high iodine levels, which boosts metabolism in the human body. Taking excess of sea moss in your food means raising iodine levels in the body and can lead to hyperthyroidism, underactive thyroid, or even thyroid cancer.
4. Side Effects Of Sea Moss On Blood Pressure Patients
There are certain side effects in patients whose blood pressure fluctuates frequently. Sea moss is a marine vegetable that is capable of lowering blood pressure. So before consuming sea moss, check the blood pressure of the patient.
Some people are confused with the question, does sea moss interact with medications? Yes, it does. It interacts with medications resulting in making your blood thinner.
Consume sea moss only if the patient has high blood pressure or taking blood pressure medications. It also causes slow blood clotting. Therefore, it is good to reduce unnecessary blood clotting in the body. Even in case of low blood pressure, it is not recommended to consume.
5. Side Effects Of Sea Moss On Skin
Well, sea moss has antibacterial properties, but some people’s bodies do not react properly to sea moss and can end up having an itchy throat or frequent allergies and nausea.
6. Side Effects of Sea Moss In The Digestive System
If sea moss is taken daily, the carrageenan present in sea moss can trigger inflammation and GI tract ulcers and may even damage the digestive system. Taking excess sea moss may lead to abdominal cramps and diarrhea. It is also observed that stomach pain is a very common issue due to excessive consumption of sea moss.
If you don’t know the benefits or side effects of sea moss, you should never add it to your food menu. Contact your medical professional to know the benefits of sea moss and check the labels to avoid any ill effects. Add sea moss only after taking consultation with your healthcare provider.
Sea moss benefits some people’s bodies, but sea moss benefits may vary depending on the health condition of people and may suffer from serious side effects.