Physical, mental, and emotional abuse should not be tolerated in any relationship. Here are some of the most powerful 28 emotional abuse quotes which can help you determine whether you are in an abusive relationship or if it is time to move on.
Whether it’s physical abuse, verbal abuse, emotional abuse, psychological abuse, or mental cruelty, abuse can negatively impact our mental health.
The sad truth is that someone in the United States is abused every two and a half seconds. Domestic violence hotline statistics state that 24 people are raped, physically abused, or stalked by their partners every minute.
There are about 12 million women and men among them who experience domestic abuse every year.
It is important to note that abuse of any kind does not always take the form of physical violence. It can also take the form of emotional abuse.
It is common for victims to stay with their abusers for a variety of emotional, physical, and social reasons. But remember, abuse grows with time.
28 Emotional Abuse Quotes
Here are some of the best emotional abuse sayings to help you come out of your past traumas and understand the types of abuse, i.e., emotional abuse, child abuse, man’s emotional abuse in a better way.
When you read the emotional abuse quotes, you may be encouraged to see something you had not seen before and stop making excuses for the abuse you have endured.
1. “As a child, I never imagined that all the real monsters in the world would be humans.”
2. “Children believe what their parents tell them.“
3. “A child that’s being abused by its parents doesn’t stop loving its parents, it stops loving itself.“
All these emotional abuse quotes deal with child abuse or rather say child’s emotional abuse.
While talking with your children or scolding them, mind the words you use because those are the words that will directly or indirectly shape your child.
It may damage their self-esteem to such an extent that can give them the deepest heartache. Parents need to have self-control over their anger issues before talking to their children.
4. “The damage and invisible scars of emotional abuse are very difficult to heal because memories are imprinted on our minds and hearts and it takes time to be restored. Imprints of past traumas do not mean a person cannot change their future beliefs and behaviors. as people, we do not easily forget. However, as we heal, grieve, and let go, we become clear-minded and focused to live restore and emotionally healthy.”
5. “Some scars don’t hurt. Some scars are numb. Some scars rid you of the capacity to feel anything ever again.“
6. “The only people that can’t handle the truth are those that suffer so much anxiety that they will live in denial, in order to prevent their illusion from being destroyed and feeling more anxiety.”
Any person who has experienced violence or abuse knows that it causes so much anxiety. And these emotional abuse quotes are saying nothing different.
Abuse in any form lowers the victim’s self-esteem or self-worth and gives them more anxiety.
The best thing you can do for your well-being and life is to leave an abusive relationship.
7. “Staying in an unhealthy relationship that robs you of peace of mind, is not being loyal. It is choosing to hurt yourself mentally, emotionally, and sometimes, physically.” –Kemi Sogunle
8. “To not have your suffering recognized is an almost unbearable form of violence.” –Andrei Lankov
9. “It is not the bruises on the body that hurt. It is the wounds of the heart and the scars on the mind.” –Aisha Mirza
10. “The scars you can’t see are the hardest to heal.“- Astrid Alauda
This collection of emotional abuse quotes focuses on the invisible scars which cause the greatest harm.
If you can see the wounds easily, you can cure them easily unlike other wounds that cannot be seen.
11. “I’m the girl who never gets angry and never wants anything, and that’s why my family is still alive.“
12. “To deny someone’s feelings or experiences is to literally deny their reality.” –Danu Morrigan
13. “My dad had limitations. That’s what my good-hearted mom always told us. He had limitations, but he meant no harm. It was kind of her to say, but he did do harm.” –Gillian Flynn
14. “Family is supposed to be our safe haven. Very often, it’s the place where we find the deepest heartache.” –Iyanlq Vanzant
15. “Domestic abuse happens only in intimate, interdependent, long-term relationships – in other words, in families – the last place we would want or expect to find violence.“- Leslie Morgan Steiner
We tend to think that family and friends are supposed to heal us, but what if they turn out to be the abusers?
These emotional abuse quotes are dealing with the emotional abuse we may face because of our family and friends.
It’s naturally apparent that when our safe heaven becomes the most dangerous place for our well-being, we will be affected.
16. “There are far too many silent sufferers. Not because they don’t yearn to reach out, but because they’ve tried and found no one who cares.” –Richelle E. Goodrich
17. “The art of not experiencing feelings. A child can experience her feelings only when there is somebody there who accepts her fully, understands her, and supports her. If that person is missing, if the child must risk losing the mother’s love of her substitute in order to feel, then she will repress emotions.“- Alice Miller
18. “The scars from mental cruelty can be as deep and long-lasting as wounds from punches or slaps but are often not as obvious. In fact, even among women who have experienced violence from a partner, half or more report that the man’s emotional abuse is what is causing them the greatest harm.“- Lundy Bancroft
These emotional abuse sayings are trying to tell the victim that they need to speak up for themselves. He or she is the only person who can help himself/herself.
19. “An abuser can seem emotionally needy. You can get caught in a trap of catering to him, trying to fill a bottomless pit. But he’s not so much needy as entitled, so no matter how much you give him, it will never be enough. He will just keep coming up with more demands because he believes his needs are your responsibility until you feel drained down to nothing.“- Lundy Bancroft
20. “It’s better to live at the corner of the rooftop than in a house shared with a quarrelsome woman.” –Biblical Proverb
21. “Do you feel alone in your relationship? Abusers isolate their partner from friends and family, and make them dependent financially, socially, and physically.”
22. “A healthy relationship doesn’t drag you down. It inspires you to be better.“
These emotional abuse quotes are trying to make the victims aware of what they may be going through.
Frequently, most people are unaware of the abuse they are undergoing. They view it as a form of affection they are receiving from their partners and loved ones.
To have emotionally healthy relationships, one must understand the warning signs.
23. “Abuse grows from attitudes and values, not feelings. The roots are ownership, the trunk is entitlement, and the branches are control.“- Lundy Bancroft
24. “True love is built on free will and free choice, not control and manipulation.”- Ken Poirot
25. “With emotional abuse, the insults, insinuations, criticism, and accusations slowly eat away at the victim’s self-esteem until he or she is incapable of judging a situation realistically. He or she may begin to believe that there is something wrong with them or even fear they are losing their mind. They have become so beaten down emotionally that they blame themselves for the abuse.“- Beverly Engel
26. “It is impossible to correct abuses unless we know that they’re going on.”-Julian Assange
27. “You survived the abuse. You’re going to survive the recovery.” –Mariska Hargitay
28. “At any given moment you have the power to say, “This is not how the story is going to end.” –Christine Mason Miller
The moment you are aware of abuse, the moment you have to find a way to escape. You cannot stop abuse until you are aware that it is taking place and this is exactly what these emotional abuse quotes are trying to convey.
The abuse they (victim) are subjected to will never be easily forgotten, but hope is the weapon that can inspire power.
These emotional abuse quotes will help you understand abuse and who knows they may give you hope and power to stop it.
By speaking up for yourself you’ll be giving courage to anybody else who is suffering silently.
Any information found on the site does not constitute legal or medical advice. Should you face health issues, please visit your doctor to get yourself diagnosed. Icy Health offers expert opinions and advice for informational purposes only. This is not a substitute for professional medical advice.