People usually tend to ignore their oral health either due to expensive dental treatments or just because they do not give much importance to this part of the body. They often take their oral problems lightly.
Whatever the case, neglecting dental issues can have serious consequences on your overall well-being if not taken care of the right way. So regular dental check-ups are important. For people with dental insurance, things can be a bit easier but for the ones who are uninsured or whose health insurance doesn’t cover dental care, a dental savings plan is the answer.
Although the benefits of dental insurance are irreplaceable, a dental savings plan can get you more dental health treatments, which aren’t usually covered under insurance. You can save yourself from bigger oral health issues that are beyond cavities. For instance, you can save big on orthodontic treatments with a savings plan, which isn’t generally insured. Adult braces can be really expensive without financial aid.
Dental savings plans or dental discount plans are dental membership plans that come with minimal monthly or annual fees and give you access to a broad range of dental solutions right from cleaning, and whitening, to cosmetic dentistry. They provide you with comprehensive dental care right in your budget in addition to your dental insurance. Thus, helping you save a considerable amount of money. So, one should always choose a dental plan depending on their dental needs, dental history and other important factors like insurance, budget and so on.
Research revealed that every dollar spent on preventive dental care can help you save up to $50 a family. And, these savings will start reflecting once you have a dental savings plan with you.
Dental Savings Plan Vs Insurance
Most of us do not want to include added dental insurance to the family budget. This is where a dental savings plan comes as a great option, which is far safer and more accessible. In contrast to dental insurance, dental plans are more easily navigable and come with lesser hurdles.
The biggest difference between the two lies in the various ways in which you can save money with the plans. Dental insurance is normally operated by third parties, which pay the dental costs on your behalf. Whereas, in dental savings plans, you directly get to save money on the services you are buying either in the form of discounts or offers. Since these plans are not run by insurance providers or companies, there are no extras. Extras like deductibles, waiting periods or restricted annual maximums aren’t included here.
The savings plans are extremely handy if you have a family of your own. If you or any of your family members need any dental care beyond the regular check-ups and cleaning services, the plan is going to help you a lot. Services like root canals or fillings can easily be done using the plans and that too at extremely low costs. There is no need to wait for insurance coverage or even to check if you are covered for a particular dental treatment.
4 Benefits of Dental Savings Plans
The primary reason for availing of a dental savings plan is to save more money on dental care. The amount you save usually depends on the plan you have bought and what all services are covered under it. Having a dental savings plan becomes even more important if your health insurance doesn’t cover oral health. Research states that only 50.2% of adults between the age of 18-64 have private health insurance, which covers dental insurance too. Here are the benefits of having a dental savings plan:
- Dental care is made less expensive where one can enjoy ready discounts on the individual services they are opting for.
- There is no waiting period before the treatment. Once you buy a plan, you get direct access to the necessary care.
- There are no hidden or added deductibles and copays associated with the plan, unlike insurance.
- There is no cap on the number of times for which you can use the plan in a year. The plan encourages one to visit the facility more and prioritise their oral health.
Who Should Opt for a Dental Savings Plan?
A dental savings plan is the best choice for a certain set of people. Here are some scenarios to help you understand things better.
- It is good for you if your dental care needs are minimal. If your oral health is perfect and you do not need anything beyond check-ups and cleaning, you can save more with the plan.
- If you need extensive dental work for yourself. A plan will help you perfectly if your insurance doesn’t cover extensive oral treatments. Your out-of-the-pocket expenses will be lowered if you have a plan and insurance.
- A plan is the best for you if you need dental care while you are unemployed. It will fill in the gap and help you enrol for a new employer’s insurance policy.
It’s imperative to do your homework before picking any solution. If you think a membership plan works better for you, try comparing a few before settling on one. Pick the one which resonates best with your needs and helps you stick to the budget.
To read more such articles, click here.
Dr Foram Bhuta