Most of us have an inner fitness freak, and the fitness freak in you wishes for massive arms. Well, that’s true for most people, but surely not all. So, if you are one of those, this is the right article for you; you may continue reading.
Most of us want bigger biceps because they make us look fit, complements a well-defined torso, and even make us look hot and sexy. Although biceps are small muscles, it is very hard to grow into the bulgy ones we desire. There are a lot of exercises that need to be done to achieve bigger and stronger biceps. And something that does so much can never come easy, can it now?
I guess you are already doing your routine workouts for growing those biceps of yours, and there’s always an ongoing debate on which workout is the best. Today, we are going to solve it for you. This article will provide you with a couple of exercises for the biceps that you can incorporate into your routine to get the best results.
Why Are Exercises For Biceps Important?
Biceps are muscles that are located on the upper arm, right between the shoulder and the elbow. Building biceps is a trend now, as everyone wants to get those bulgy biceps and flex them. But it is not just about turning your biceps, and building bicep strength is important too.
Strong biceps helps in maintaining overall strength and a functional upper body. If you have enough bicep strength, it also enables you to perform everyday tasks easily, such as lifting and carrying.
Moreover, working on your biceps will have an overall impact on the appearance of your arms. It will provide you with a tighter and toned look.
Does Building Bicep Muscles Help Improve Overall Health?
Building arms muscles helps improve your overall health. A study published in the American Journal of Cardiology showed that a couple of male heart patients with stronger arms and leg muscles were 68% less likely to die of any cardiovascular disease shortly than guys who had fewer muscles.
Furthermore, the study concluded that stronger muscles promote better insulin function, which might play a role in showing developments towards heart trouble.
So, yes, building your biceps can help improve your overall health. So, next time you feel like working on your biceps, go for it.
Before we move on to the best exercises for the biceps, I believe it will be beneficial for you to learn a bit about your biceps and muscles.
What Are Biceps?
The biceps, or otherwise known as biceps brachii, is a large muscle group that can be found located on your upper arms between the elbow and the shoulder. It is a two-headed muscle of the arm – the short head and the long head.
Both the short and long heads emerge from the scapula shoulder blade and form a single muscle belly.
Exercise for Biceps: How to Build Bigger Biceps?
Building biceps or working on bicep exercises doesn’t necessarily have to be difficult. However, most people still find it difficult to build biceps as big as they would love them to be. But why is that?
This is simply because most people are doing it the wrong way; it is important to recognize which exercises for the biceps will give the best results. And for that, it is important to understand your biceps well first.
As already mentioned, your bicep is not just one single part, but there’s more. Most people focus on the brachii; however, you will need to work on all biceps to build up muscles fully.
Well, now that you know about the biceps and the muscles, let’s not waste any more time. Let us check out the top exercises for biceps that we have put together in a list.
Biceps Workout: 10 Best Exercises For Biceps To Try Now
1. Exercises for Biceps: Standing Barbell Curl
The standing barbell curl is one of the most common arm workouts. This exercise shows great results for control and stability, as it allows you to exercise both arms evenly and simultaneously. It is great for upper arm muscles.
This exercise does not just target your biceps brachii but also targets the muscle that is responsible for elbow flexion, that is, the brachialis.
How to perform the standing barbell curl?
- First, stand tall and hold the barbell with an underhand grip, just outside of your hips (hold it wide).
- Keep the bar at the height of your hip, chest up and your elbows tight, arms straight, squeeze your core, and then curl up the bar to your shoulder’s height.
- Slowly lift the bar to the front of your shoulders as you keep your elbows and shoulders stationary.
- Pause for a few seconds, and squeeze your biceps at the top.
- Steadily and slowly lower the bar to return to starting position.
- It helps increase your upper-body strength
- It helps gain upper body mass
- It helps improve your grip strength
You can also do a standing reverse barbell curl to incorporate a reverse grip. Check this website to know how to do a reverse barbell curl.
2. Exercises for Biceps: Hammer Curls
Also known as the neutral grip biceps curl, hammer curl is a variation of the traditional biceps curl that targets muscles in both the upper and lower arms.
This exercise is usually performed with dumbells. However, you can also do it with bands or cables. It is one of the best biceps exercises.
How to perform hammer curl?
- Firstly, stand with your legs straight and knees aligned.
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand, with your thumbs facing forward and shoulders relaxed.
- Turn your wrists so that they face each other as you begin.
- Bend at the elbow as you lift the dumbbells towards the shoulders. Your upper arms must be stationary.
- Now, you must pause for a few seconds at the top of the movement.
- Lower the dumbbells back down with control to return to the starting position.
- It helps get the desired muscular appearance
- It helps increase wrist stability
- It helps improve grip strength
- Neutral wrist position is easier
After this, you can also try your hands on seated alternating hammer curl.
3. Exercises for Biceps: Incline Dumbbell Curl
Dumbbell curls are one of the most basic exercises for biceps, so if you are ready to take it up a notch and work on different arm muscles, you can try out the incline dumbbell curl. This incline curl variation is comparatively more effective as it creates a longer range of motion.
This exercise requires more effort since the position is inclined; therefore, the load must be light.
How to perform incline dumbbell curl?
- First, lay back on an incline bench which is angled at about 45 or 60 degrees with dumbbells in each hand.
- Next, keep your arms fully extended (let them hang).
- Now, without moving your shoulders, slowly bend your elbows and curl the dumbbells close to your shoulders.
- Hold at the top of your movement for hardly a second or two.
- Finally, lower your arms to the starting position. Make sure you have your arms extended straight.
- Lifting weight with extended arms increases the range of motion
- It eliminates momentum, forcing you to maintain curling form strictly
- It especially works the brachii
- It helps target the whole muscle
- It helps build the biceps peak
If you master this exercise, you can move to another variation known as the alternating incline dumbbell curl. To learn more about this exercise, click here.
4. Exercises for Biceps: Chin Up
Chin up is a bodyweight exercise that is done with nothing but just a pull-up bar. This exercise can induce muscle growth of the biceps, as it involves pulling up your body, which ultimately exposes your biceps to heavier loads.
This is also one of the most challenging body-training exercises.
How to perform a chin-up?
Lifters may at times perform chin-ups incorrectly, which may have some repercussions. So, it is important to perform this biceps workout accurately.
- Hang from a horizontal pull-up bar, with your palms facing your way. Your hands should be about shoulder-width apart.
- Keep your spine long, lift the chest, and pull your body up. Think of it like lifting your chest close to the bar.
- Your chin should be at or above the bar.
- Do not let your body fold inwards.
- Pause briefly at the top of the movement. Then lower back to the initial position.
- Never drop back down
Going down slowly keeps your muscles under tension for a longer period, which ultimately helps develop strength.
- It helps create a crushing grip strength
- It helps increase the strength of the upper arms
- It helps gain shoulder strength
5. Exercise for biceps: Concentration Curl
Concentration curl is one of the best biceps workouts for greater biceps growth. It is a variation of the traditional biceps curl. This exercise helps your burn more calories.
With this exercise, you will be working on each of your arms individually, eliminating your chances of cheating with curls. So, add these curl variations to your routine right away.
How to perform concentration curl?
- Sit on a bench with your feet flat on the floor. Your knees must be bent at 90 degrees.
- Set your feet wide enough that your arm can be hanging in the middle and your elbow is resting on the inner part of your thigh.
- Pick up a dumbbell in one hand, and slowly curl the dumbbell up with control by only moving your forearms.
- Put the load on your biceps.
- Now, pause for a while at the top of the movement and flex as hard as possible.
- Slowly reverse the load to the start.
First, do all the reps with one arm (right arm) and then switch to the other (left arm).
6. Exercises for Biceps: Zottman Curl
Another of the best biceps workout is the Zottman Curl. This exercise is one of those few best bicep exercises that focuses on all three major brachialis, brachii, and brachioradialis muscles.
This biceps exercise hits all areas of your biceps muscles as you rotate from an underhand grip to an overhand grip.
How to perform zottman curl?
To do this classic curl, follow the steps:
- Hold your dumbbells hanging by your side and with palms facing forward.
- Keeping your upper arms still, bend your elbows and lift the load up to your shoulders.
- Pause for a moment. Then slowly rotate your grip.
- Lower the weight slowly back to its position with this overhand grip.
Do not lower the weight too quickly. You can keep a count of 3-5 beats as your get back to the starting position.
Also, you can perform this exercise either with both arms simultaneously or one arm at a time.
- It works your forearms
- It makes your grip stronger
- It helps build up endurance
- Increase bicep size and strength
7. Exercises for Biceps: Seated Alternating Dumbbell Curl
When doing dumbbell curl, you cannot miss its best variation- seated alternating dumbbell curl. This exercise, in particular, works your upper muscles like no other.
An article was published in the Journal of Sports Science and Medicine to prove its worth that shows how this version of bicep curl works your muscle fibers and how iconic it is.
How to perform seated alternating dumbbell curl?
- Sit on a gym bench with your knees slightly bent at 90 degrees. Grab a pair of dumbbells in each hand with your palms facing forward.
- Push your chest out, tighten your core and arch your lower back.
- Slowly curl one arm up to your shoulder level.
- Squeezing your biceps at the top, pause for a few seconds.
- Now, slowly reverse your movement.
- Repeat the steps with the other arm.
- Allows you to focus on one arm at a time, fully
- Engages the core muscles
- It enables you to lift more weight
- Enhance your mind-muscle connection
8. Exercise for Biceps: Cable Curl
Next on the list of best bicep workouts we have are cable curls. This is an isolation exercise for the muscles of the upper arm. Instead of using a dumbbell or a barbell, you work with a cable machine during this exercise.
This exercise is best for beginners.
How to perform cable curl?
- Attach your preferred handle to the pulley of the cable machine. Set it to the bottom or at the lowest height.
- Stand firmly on the floor, with your knees slightly bent and back straight.
- Grab the cable handle with both hands and take a few steps back.
- Curl the bar upwards towards your chest.
- Hold at the top of your position.
- Slowly lower the position to start as you keep the cable under tension.
- It helps boost brachii strength and size
- It helps regulate skin metabolism
- It offers you a toned look
9. Exercises for Biceps: EZ-Bar Preacher Curl
The EZ bar preacher curl is one of the best isolation exercises to work on the muscles while putting off the strain from your wrists. It is claimed to be one of the all-time best mass-building movements for your biceps.
This exercise is not very different from normal bicep curls, except that this very exercise focuses on a specific curl style.
How to perform EZ bar preacher curl?
- Sit on a preacher bench, and lean forward slightly so that your upper arms sit comfortably on the pad.
- Push your chest up, elbows slightly forward, and shoulders back. Maintain the position.
- Using an underhand grip, grab the EZ bar with your hands shoulder-width apart.
- With your body in position, lift the bar off the rack and curl the bar upwards until your forearms are at a 90 degrees angle with the floor.
- At the top of the movement, pause and flex or squeeze your biceps as hard as possible.
- Now steadily bring it back to the starting position.
- Repeat for your desired reps.
- Creates more muscular tension for bicep growth
- It is more comfortable on the wrist
- It makes a longer range of motion
- Forces you into a negative movement; improving muscle growth and strength
If you want to use a straight bar instead of an EZ bar, you can try your hands on that too.
Final Thoughts on Exercises for Biceps
So these 9 are the best exercises for biceps that are out there. If you think you are ready to hit the gym, and get your biceps all worked up, then start with these nine exercises for biceps right away. Adding these bicep exercises will certainly help your growth and increase your endurance.
But to get most of your workout, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, you need to start warm-ups before you move on to the exercises. Warm-ups help reduce the chances of any injury and also help you get properly ready for your training session.
It helps increase the blood flow of your surrounding tissues and gets you all set without generating excessive fatigue. Also, your resting periods do play a significant role in your workout routine. When it comes to muscle growth, it needs more rest. So keep a watch on this.
I hope this article was of help to you. If you would like to add anything else to this, please let us know. You can drop your views in the comment section.
Read more from us here.
Any information found on the site does not constitute legal or medical advice. Should you face health issues, please visit your doctor to get yourself diagnosed. Icy Health offers expert opinions and advice for informational purposes only. This is not a substitute for professional medical advice.