If you are in the pursuit of cherishing your life to the fullest, these 5 ways to wellbeing will ensure you have less to worry about. The word ‘well-being’ defines itself. To be more elaborate, it means the state of wellness, good spirits, and prosperity. It is a fundamental aspect of our survival.
At times we feel low and don’t have time for ourselves. That is how we end up neglecting our well-being.
You can easily implement these 5 ways to wellbeing in your day to day activities. They first appeared in a paper by the New Economics Foundation in 2008. Since then, many have adopted for a better life. Scroll down to know more about these 5 ways to wellbeing.
Among the 5 ways to wellbeing, connecting with the world is arguably the most important.
Humans are ‘social animals.’ Interaction with other people and bonding with them makes up a part of who we are. That is why we have friends, family, and loved ones who are there to help us in times of need and make us realize our self-worth.
Studies have shown that interaction and socializing with people has a positive impact on the mental wellbeing of people of all ages.
In recent years, many of us have lost our connection with the Earth, as evident in rising environmental degradation caused by our deeds. As discussed above, we tend to have ‘no time’ for ourselves, which is very serious. We must always hold a strong bond with them. Otherwise, the results would be catastrophic.
Here are some ways we can connect with the environment. Some of them are as follows:-
- Try to talk to new people whenever possible.
- Do not hesitate to ring the doorbell of one of your neighbors in your local community and strike a conversation. They’ll be your aid in times of need.
- Share your concerns with your family, friends, partner, or trusted ones.
- Devote time to your family. Set a time for having dinner with your family members or plan a trip.
- Always find an excuse to meet with others and create a bonding with them.
- If you are not confident in yourself, do what you would like to do. Following your hobbies will make you realize your self-worth.
- Connect with nature. Take a stroll in the park and have a look at the bounty of mother nature.
Connecting with others solely does not mean through social media apps. The physical way of socializing has always been the best. If you are introverted and hesitate to talk to strangers, this page will help you come out of your shell.
2. Take Notice Of The Good
Among the 5 ways to wellbeing, we must take notice of the things happening around us.
Moments-big and small- affect us all. Thus, it is important to be aware of them in our day to day lives. Studies have even shown that thinking about the present decreases them, and it gives us positive vibes.
You can adopt these steps to increase your awareness regarding the things happening around you:-
- Take a stroll at a park and observe the various types of plants growing. Know their names and other benefits.
- Keep a plant in your home or workplace.
- Enquire how your friends and acquaintances are doing and if they need any help.
- Always introspect yourself for self-awareness.
- Write down your feelings about a certain thing somewhere and share it with others.
- Try to visit new places and interact with the people there.
3. Be Active
Among the 5 ways to wellbeing, remaining active plays a crucial part.
Remaining physically active is very important. It keeps various diseases and other anomalies at bay. Studies have found that a person regularly engaging in physical activity have better mental health. It also ensures enough flow of blood and oxygen in your body.
If you are in the habit of being active, you have to worry less about your weight and blood pressure. Physical activity increases our life span as well. If you are an insomniac, even a still at a park will ensure you get a good sleep.
It is not necessary that you have to hit the gym to get your dose of physical activity. If you feel like the gym or the park, for that matter, does not suit you, feel free to do whatever makes you move.
These are some general ways you can ‘be active’-
- Take a longer route to your usual destination.
- You can do some simple exercises at your home.
- Take the stairs instead of the lift, if you can.
- Small changes in your routine can cause a big difference.
4. Learn New Things
Learning new things and pursuing new domains are instrumental in the overall wellbeing of a person.
The world around us has a lot to offer about which many of us are not aware of. Thus, there is no dearth of learning. It helps us know our potential in a certain field and raises self-confidence.
It facilitates neural development in children. In adults, it can boost motivation and reduce stress levels. Learning also helps in improving our mental faculty as well.
Always try to explore a new domain. You may fall in love with what you do! We, humans, are known to discover new things, so it’s up to us to live up to it.
These are some of the ways you can keep learning:-
- Join a club or a group that suits your taste, e.g., a literary club.
- Take an online course that interests you. Type ‘I’m Feeling Curious’ on Google (click here) or learn something new by watching TED videos.
- Learn something new about your local community or its people.
- Cook up a dish using a recipe book.
- If you are a student, try to explore more about a certain topic on the internet.
- Read a book or listen to a podcast or an audiobook on a topic you prefer.
- Join seminars or webinars on various topics. Many of these are free of cost.
The act of giving is one of the 5 ways to wellbeing.
When something great happens to us, we get happy. But, sharing this happiness makes everyone happy. Be it big or small; there is something for all in the act of giving. Scientists have shown that acts of altruism release endorphins that make us happy.
It not only gives happiness but provides a sense of meaning and takes our mind off the worries.
So, when you see someone who needs help, never think twice and help that person out.
You can do these to give and spread happiness and joy-
- Become a volunteer at a social campaign.
- Visit a nursing home and spend time with older adults.
- Help the underprivileged with something they need.
- Take part in a tree plantation drive.
- Ask your neighbors if they need any help.
- Help your colleagues or batchmates complete a task.
- Appreciate someone you admire publicly. It does not necessarily have to be done frequently.
Wellbeing During Time Of COVID
Many things are needed to be done outdoors while ensuring wellbeing. During the COVID pandemic, many are skeptical about how to ensure the same.
Well, you can ensure your wellbeing in the following ways:
- Connect- Talk to your friends over Zoom or Google Meet. Create a stronger bond with your family members. Reinstate your connections with a long lost friend.
- Take Notice- Maintain a diary or a blog sharing your views or experiences. Know more about those things around you weren’t aware of before.
- Be Active-Enrol for an online exercise session. Do some yoga or some stretch outs at home. Play a brainstorming game with your family members.
- Learn- Enrol for short online courses. Pursue a hobby you always wanted to but couldn’t take out time for it. Teach others through online mode.
- Give- Check upon your neighbors if they need anything. Help the needy at such difficult times.
Check this document to know more about how to ensure these 5 ways to wellbeing during COVID times.
We all are in pursuit of becoming well-off in every aspect of life. But, we end up neglecting ourselves, thinking that other things will fall into place. After investigating these 5 ways to wellbeing, we can get to know how we can keep ourselves and others satiated.
Taking time for yourself and for your welfare is important. Discuss the issues you have with the ones whom you believe can guide you. If you are healthy and happy, you will head towards a better life.
Click here to know more about taking a holistic approach to mental health.
Any information found on the site does not constitute legal or medical advice. Should you face health issues, please visit your doctor to get yourself diagnosed. Icy Health offers expert opinions and advice for informational purposes only. This is not a substitute for professional medical advice.